Terry Francona visiting ESPN to talk about television job

Dec 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT

File image of Boston Red Sox manager Francona walking back to the dugout during their MLB American League baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park in Boston

SI.com media writer Richard Deitsch reports that Terry Francona is at the ESPN offices in Connecticut today discussing a potential television analyst job.

Shortly after the Red Sox fired him Francona subbed for Tim McCarver during FOX’s postseason broadcast and generally received glowing reviews.

And with Bobby Valentine leaving ESPN to take Francona’s old job with the Red Sox there happens to be an opening on “Sunday Night Baseball” assuming ESPN decides to stick with a third partner for Dan Shulman and Orel Hershiser.

Francona failed to immediately land another job, as the Cubs and Cardinals decided against hiring him, but he’s sure to be a popular midseason replacement option for any managers on the hot seat.

1. cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I can’t tell you how much I would love listening to Francona second guessing & armchair/backseat managing Valentine next season. Oh please, baseball gods,please lets this happen. I am off to offer a big glass of Captain Morgan to my Faux-Jobu to influence things in Tito’s favor. Salut!

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

What? Man at least offer something Jamaican if it’s a Faux-Jobu. Rum in the Caribbean: Cuba – Venezuela, that’s it. Everything else is sugar cane gone bad!

• cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM

My Faux-Jobu is in fact a Halliday bobblehead with a tam o’ shanter golfclub over over it (I covered him when he departed the Beaver Men in mourning). As such any really good stuff goes to his little bobbly head and he starts trying to break dance. Effigies of white guys break dancing is the stuff of nightmares…

• 24missed - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

cur68: That’s just one of the best comments I’ve seen in a long time.

Salut!

2. patsandsox - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I hope Terry gets the job. I feel the Sox screwed him out of the mannaging jobs with their rumor campaign against him. Hes a good guy and he was a darn good manager for almost 8 years. I enjoyed listening to him on fox.

• wendell7 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM

couldn’t agree more

3. aceshigh11 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Terry’s a great guy…I wish him nothing but the best.

• baseballisboring - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Same…I didn’t get to hear him in the playoffs, though. I’ll be looking forward to that if he gets hired.

4. natstowngreg - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM

So, can we infer that ESPN has expressed interest in Francona?

Makes sense, since ESPN is a popular way station for a manager/coach/GM between jobs, where one can get paid to opine while waiting for the next gig.

• sandpiperair - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Well, it’s either that or he just drove to Bristol, CT to hang around in their parking lot.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Let’s not count that out of the equation. I hear they have lovely parking lots.

• Kevin S. - Dec 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Didn’t Terry recently finalize his divorce? I hear Bristol’s a good place to get some.

• natstowngreg - Dec 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

ESPN has featured its parking lots in a few commercials. Like the one where a NASCAR driver (think it was Tony Stewart, but not sure) was caught destroying a speed bump. Then there was the Rich Eisen – Sal Paolantonio faceoff (West Side Story-style) between the studio types and the field reporter types.

Hey, what can I say, the Sports Center commercials are, in general, pretty good.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM

even though i always hated the redsuk this would be a good choice for espn. Good baseball guy, probably do a really good job at it. Would like it even more if they put him on the sunday night broadcast instead of the stiffs they got doing that now

• tuloisgod - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Conveniently, ESPN broadcasts Sawks/Yankees games and/or Yankees/Sawks games EVERY SUNDAY. Terry could still live in his Boston home and commute to the Bronx*.

*If necessary