Dec 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
SI.com media writer Richard Deitsch reports that Terry Francona is at the ESPN offices in Connecticut today discussing a potential television analyst job.
Shortly after the Red Sox fired him Francona subbed for Tim McCarver during FOX’s postseason broadcast and generally received glowing reviews.
And with Bobby Valentine leaving ESPN to take Francona’s old job with the Red Sox there happens to be an opening on “Sunday Night Baseball” assuming ESPN decides to stick with a third partner for Dan Shulman and Orel Hershiser.
Francona failed to immediately land another job, as the Cubs and Cardinals decided against hiring him, but he’s sure to be a popular midseason replacement option for any managers on the hot seat.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)