Dec 2, 2011, 4:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Or maybe not. Jayson Stark says that the Marlins have made very little headway. So, just like, never mind.
Probably a safe assumption that the Marlins, while not totally full of it given their signing of Heath Bell, happen to still be full of quite a bit of it.
4:30 PM We heard this morning that the Marlins were going to sweeten their offer for Jose Reyes. Underscoring that: Jim Bowden said a few minutes ago that Miami is putting on “an all-out press” to get the shortstop. They’ll apparently stop at nothing — not even mixing metaphors — to get a deal done.
Bowden says the Marlins want to have Reyes locked up by the time the Winter Meetings start on Monday. If so, they’ll have to do better than the six-year $90 million offer they reportedly had out previously.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)