Dec 2, 2011, 4:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Or maybe not. Jayson Stark says that the Marlins have made very little headway. So, just like, never mind.
Probably a safe assumption that the Marlins, while not totally full of it given their signing of Heath Bell, happen to still be full of quite a bit of it.
4:30 PM We heard this morning that the Marlins were going to sweeten their offer for Jose Reyes. Underscoring that: Jim Bowden said a few minutes ago that Miami is putting on “an all-out press” to get the shortstop. They’ll apparently stop at nothing — not even mixing metaphors — to get a deal done.
Bowden says the Marlins want to have Reyes locked up by the time the Winter Meetings start on Monday. If so, they’ll have to do better than the six-year $90 million offer they reportedly had out previously.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 16
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)