UPDATE: The Marlins pursuit of Jose Reyes is not exactly going anywhere

Dec 2, 2011, 4:59 PM EDT

Jose Reyes Getty Images

UPDATE:  Or maybe not.  Jayson Stark says that the Marlins have made very little headway.  So, just like, never mind.

Probably a safe assumption that the Marlins, while not totally full of it given their signing of Heath Bell, happen to still be full of quite a bit of it.

4:30 PM We heard this morning that the Marlins were going to sweeten their offer for Jose Reyes. Underscoring that: Jim Bowden said a few minutes ago that Miami is putting on “an all-out press” to get the shortstop.  They’ll apparently stop at nothing — not even mixing metaphors — to get a deal done.

Bowden says the Marlins want to have Reyes locked up by the time the Winter Meetings start on Monday. If so, they’ll have to do better than the six-year $90 million offer they reportedly had out previously.

1. Kyle - Dec 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM

You got that right.

2. jwbiii - Dec 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Or not.

3. dohpey28 - Dec 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I still think he finds a way back to the Mets.

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Can we wait until Reyes actually signs somewhere before we call anyone full of anything?

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I dunno – it seems safe to call Reyes full of hubris….

5. Old Gator - Dec 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Aramis Ramirez would be a good fit for the Feesh right now. He’d supply some timely hitting, something they desperately need, and he’d provide (drumroll, please) veteran leadership. And he’d be a (‘nother drumroll please) real third baseman, a nice radical shift from the processional of halfassed conversions to the position that the Feesh have rotated through there since Mike Lowell was shipped off to the Beanbags.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Yeah, but get used to inconsistency, lackadaisical fielding and a bajillion hamstring injuries and tightness issues, too.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Sounds like a certain shortstop I know of…..

6. purnellmeagrejr - Dec 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Craig I compliment you on calling them “Miami” I know I will never, ever be able to do that without thinking.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Try this exercise. Wait until the thermometer is frozen static, the snow drifts are piling halfway up your window, the wind is cutting like a scalpel, and the icicles falling from your tree are punching holes in the roof of your brand new Lexus. Then think: Miami. Imagines of palm trees, hot dark eyed Latina babes in string bikinis, frozen margaritas and the Feesh logo will appear out of the miasma of your unconscious. Then it will be locked in and you can relax and hallucinate instead of spraining your dendrites trying to force yourself to remember where the Feesh play.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 3, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Gator, I tried but the only image Miami conjures in my mind is old people in coffee shops who don’t look up when ambulances (carrying old people from coffee shops to the Hospital) go past with their sirens blaring.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Well then you’ll be pleased to know that the very few of those old people left from the bygone era you recall have been turfed to St. Petersburg and points north. The developers and, even moreso, the techno and rap blasting from the speakers in the discos and cafes along Ocean Drive have bulldozed them out of the region.

When I was a lowly abject student at Macondo Beach High, I had a part time job showing old movies (and we’re talking 35MM here, whirrrrrrrr click grind grunt whirrrrrrr) like The Eddie Cantor Story or Seven Little Foys to the….ahem….retirees in the nursing homes that dominated Ocean Drive back then. The area was indeed a holding pen for the afterlife in those days. I’d go in and set up the projector in the community room. The nurses or whatever they were would assist the duffers into the room and get them seated. Lights out, projector on. I’d go across the street to the beach to chase tail and smoke some weed, then go change the reel, then go back out for some more tail chasing. Finally, I’d go back to shut down, rewind and pack up. The attendants came back to assist the duffers out. Many had fallen asleep in their chairs or wheelchairs and needed to be awakened again.

Some didn’t wake up. This happened a few times, and then I’d had enough. I found a part time job as an usher at a movie theater up the beach. Younger customers, longer lifelines. Movies I could actually stand to watch.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Gator – good call – It was 20 years ago that I formed my images of Miami. I just figured that the old people who died would have their places at the the booth (or counter) taken by others in the “anteroom of death.”

7. adenzeno - Dec 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Reyes -signs wi Mets= injuries bad ending to career. reyes signs elsewhere=borderline HOF career…Ok maybe not THAT good but you know what I mean, and I am a Mets fan…Can the Wilpons just sell….

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB