Dec 2, 2011, 8:57 AM EDT
The Marlins must have gotten tired of wiseguys like me saying that they were just pretending to play in the free agent pool. Last night they put (too much) money where their mouth was and signed Heath Bell. Today we hear from Jon Heyman that they’re going to sweeten that offer they had out to Jose Reyes.
They’ll need to, as the last reported offer was really light. It was first reported as six years, $90 million, but later people were saying it was actually lower than that. While the teams in need of a shortstop — the Brewers and Giants — haven’t exactly been out front in the bidding yet, it seems like it’s going to take nine figures to land Reyes.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)