Dec 2, 2011, 4:03 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi write today that the Marlins have “discussed Prince Fielder internally and done background work on his makeup.” They add that “some club officials are indeed enamored of the idea” of putting Fielder in the same lineup as Mike Stanton.
This is somewhat tepid, I suppose, inasmuch as it doesn’t sound close to an offer, but the Marlins are nothing if not thorough this offseason. One wonders what they don’t know about Fielder’s “makeup” at this point — the guy has been around for a long damn time now — but whatever.
Like most folks, I don’t think that Albert Pujols is going anyplace besides St. Louis. If the Marlins are intent on spending big for a big bat — and they did make an offer to Pujols — Fielder seems far more obtainable.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)