Dec 2, 2011, 4:03 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi write today that the Marlins have “discussed Prince Fielder internally and done background work on his makeup.” They add that “some club officials are indeed enamored of the idea” of putting Fielder in the same lineup as Mike Stanton.
This is somewhat tepid, I suppose, inasmuch as it doesn’t sound close to an offer, but the Marlins are nothing if not thorough this offseason. One wonders what they don’t know about Fielder’s “makeup” at this point — the guy has been around for a long damn time now — but whatever.
Like most folks, I don’t think that Albert Pujols is going anyplace besides St. Louis. If the Marlins are intent on spending big for a big bat — and they did make an offer to Pujols — Fielder seems far more obtainable.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12