Dec 2, 2011, 4:03 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi write today that the Marlins have “discussed Prince Fielder internally and done background work on his makeup.” They add that “some club officials are indeed enamored of the idea” of putting Fielder in the same lineup as Mike Stanton.
This is somewhat tepid, I suppose, inasmuch as it doesn’t sound close to an offer, but the Marlins are nothing if not thorough this offseason. One wonders what they don’t know about Fielder’s “makeup” at this point — the guy has been around for a long damn time now — but whatever.
Like most folks, I don’t think that Albert Pujols is going anyplace besides St. Louis. If the Marlins are intent on spending big for a big bat — and they did make an offer to Pujols — Fielder seems far more obtainable.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)