Dec 2, 2011, 4:03 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi write today that the Marlins have “discussed Prince Fielder internally and done background work on his makeup.” They add that “some club officials are indeed enamored of the idea” of putting Fielder in the same lineup as Mike Stanton.
This is somewhat tepid, I suppose, inasmuch as it doesn’t sound close to an offer, but the Marlins are nothing if not thorough this offseason. One wonders what they don’t know about Fielder’s “makeup” at this point — the guy has been around for a long damn time now — but whatever.
Like most folks, I don’t think that Albert Pujols is going anyplace besides St. Louis. If the Marlins are intent on spending big for a big bat — and they did make an offer to Pujols — Fielder seems far more obtainable.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)