Wanna feel old? Ken Griffey Jr.’s kid is playing in a high school all-star football game

Dec 2, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

ken griffey jr and sr-thumb-275x229-12858

A lot of things make me feel old lately. My hairline. The fact that I can’t seem to sleep plast 7:30AM no matter how late I stay up. The fact that teenagers frighten and confuse me.  Happens to everyone, I guess.  Time really does move faster for a person when they get older.

But nothing has made me feel quite as old this week as reading that Ken Griffey Jr.’s son Trey is old enough to be playing in a high school all-star football game:

Trey Griffey was officially named as a participant to play in the Under Armour All-American Game at a ceremony held at Dr. Phillips (Orlando, Fla.) on Wednesday. Griffey will play for the East team in the game, which will be played Jan. 5 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.

He’s a pretty great receiver, apparently. Which is fairly amazing considering that, in my mind, Ken Griffey Jr. is still 23 years-old.

1. rickset - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I was born in the same town as the Griffey’s and Stan Musial – Donora, PA

• davemac32001 - Dec 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Well, I was born in the same town as Justin Bieber – Stratford, Ontario, Canada. There, now I feel special too!

2. Old Gator - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I don’t need recourse to Ken Griffey III or any Griffey to feel old. I just need to wake up in the morning.

• natstowngreg - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

ditto

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM

but what’s really great is getting in bed.

BTW – kid looks a lot like Dad.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Incidentally, Craig, teenagers frightened and confused me when I was a teenager. Matter of fack, when I look back at how I was as a teenager, I frighten and confuse myself.

• cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Seriously man, you are leading the interwebs in nihilism today with that comment. Next time you frighten and confuse yourself I hope its in relation to being confronted with big portion of cheesecake and discovering you’ve named it and are singing to it like a lover you plan to woo to till she acquiesces to your more perverted fantasies. That’s worth being frightened of oneself over, acid trips notwithstanding.

• motherscratcher23 - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM

A nihilist…eff me. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of national socialism, at least it’s an ethos.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

The 1920’s were some raw times, eh Gator?

3. cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I’m glad the kid’s doing something other than baseball (making his own mark as it were) but I’m gonna miss having a Griffey in MLB.

4. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Another way to feel old. Or seeing “You must be born before 1990 to purchase alcohol” signs.

• aceshigh11 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I love this comic strip…it’s true.

5. hushbrother - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM

The kid’s a receiver? I’ve got the perfect end zone celebration for him: Score a touchdown, then imitate his dad’s swing and walk down the first base line while admiring a home run.

6. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Or realizing that the number of active MLB’ers who are older than you are down to a precious few. Please don’t ever leave, Mariano. Or for that matter, Jamie Moyer.

Father Time is an ass.

• cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Word.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Dead on Jason. I tend to notice and/or keep up with the same thing. To that end…I hope Jim Thome never leaves either.

• aceshigh11 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I’m only 33 and that’s starting to happen to me. It’s a terrible feeling.

7. badmamainphilliesjamas - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM

But you guys never had to deal with this . . .
    I was walking by a construction site last week, and one of the guys whistled and said “you’ve still got it goin’ on!”

Still? Ouch.
    Like not bad for an old broad.

• cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Since when does being 25 qualify you as being and “old broad”? That’s the apparent age of your writing in any case. Contrast this with Ari Collins who writes like he’s 60 but is in fact barely 31.

8. motherscratcher23 - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

In a related story, I had to take a long beer break after carrying up the Christmas boxes. I was sore for a few days.

• dexterismyhero - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

beer break in 60 minutes here.

9. lanjoith - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

It does make you feel old when your peers are retiring from the game. At 37 I still feel way too young to see guys my age as the “old men” in sports right now. Jr. will always have the sweetest swing of all time. As a left-hander, I always tried to mimic his swing.

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

There were few guys more fun to watch than Griffey Jr in his prime. Just phenomenal.

11. jwbiii - Dec 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM

The Houston Chronicle adds this to age-related angst today: Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Natalie Portman, Beyonce Knowles, Serena Williams, Anna Kournikova, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jonathan Taylor-Thomas, Alicia Keys, Jamie-Lynn Sigler, and Barbara and Jenna Bush all turn(ed) 30 this year.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3601)