Dec 2, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Cespedes still has to establish residency in the Dominican Republic to officially become a free agent, but that’s viewed as merely a formality at this point.
And because he’s 26 years old with multiple seasons of professional experience Cespedes’ signing won’t be impacted by the recent collective bargaining agreement changes restricting international spending.
Aroldis Chapman received $30 million from the Reds after leaving Cuba in 2009 and just about every team in baseball has attended one of Cespedes’ workouts, including multiple general managers traveling to the Dominican Republic to get an in-person look. And of course there’s also the amazing 20-minute YouTube video that made the rounds last month.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17