Dec 3, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
More ballpark stuff. Janie McCauley of the Associated Press reports that a coalition group called “Stand for San Jose” filed a lawsuit yesterday against the city of San Jose claiming that they failed to perform proper environmental review of land committed to the Athletics for a new stadium.
The lawsuit comes after the San Jose City Council agreed last month to sell nearly five acres of land to the A’s at a reduced rate on the condition that is used to build a ballpark. In addition to the environmental concerns, “Stand for San Jose” argues that the city violated citizens’ rights by not putting the issue to a public vote.
“In the midst of its 11th consecutive budget deficit, San Jose politicians rushed to sell prime downtown land for only $6.9 million, even though it was acquired for $25 million and is currently appraised at approximately $14 million,” Stand for San Jose said in a statement to the AP. “This huge discount for wealthy developers who want to build a baseball stadium comes at a time of fiscal challenges so severe that the Mayor recently admitted: ‘We’re not as bad as Greece, I don’t think.'”
The group has the support of the Giants, who are reluctant to give up their territorial rights in San Jose. Bud Selig has been reviewing the matter for years now, but we heard late last month that he planned to meet with the Giants in the near future in an effort to gain their approval.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 38
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)