Dec 3, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
More ballpark stuff. Janie McCauley of the Associated Press reports that a coalition group called “Stand for San Jose” filed a lawsuit yesterday against the city of San Jose claiming that they failed to perform proper environmental review of land committed to the Athletics for a new stadium.
The lawsuit comes after the San Jose City Council agreed last month to sell nearly five acres of land to the A’s at a reduced rate on the condition that is used to build a ballpark. In addition to the environmental concerns, ”Stand for San Jose” argues that the city violated citizens’ rights by not putting the issue to a public vote.
“In the midst of its 11th consecutive budget deficit, San Jose politicians rushed to sell prime downtown land for only $6.9 million, even though it was acquired for $25 million and is currently appraised at approximately $14 million,” Stand for San Jose said in a statement to the AP. “This huge discount for wealthy developers who want to build a baseball stadium comes at a time of fiscal challenges so severe that the Mayor recently admitted: ‘We’re not as bad as Greece, I don’t think.’”
The group has the support of the Giants, who are reluctant to give up their territorial rights in San Jose. Bud Selig has been reviewing the matter for years now, but we heard late last month that he planned to meet with the Giants in the near future in an effort to gain their approval.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1