Dec 3, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
More ballpark stuff. Janie McCauley of the Associated Press reports that a coalition group called “Stand for San Jose” filed a lawsuit yesterday against the city of San Jose claiming that they failed to perform proper environmental review of land committed to the Athletics for a new stadium.
The lawsuit comes after the San Jose City Council agreed last month to sell nearly five acres of land to the A’s at a reduced rate on the condition that is used to build a ballpark. In addition to the environmental concerns, “Stand for San Jose” argues that the city violated citizens’ rights by not putting the issue to a public vote.
“In the midst of its 11th consecutive budget deficit, San Jose politicians rushed to sell prime downtown land for only $6.9 million, even though it was acquired for $25 million and is currently appraised at approximately $14 million,” Stand for San Jose said in a statement to the AP. “This huge discount for wealthy developers who want to build a baseball stadium comes at a time of fiscal challenges so severe that the Mayor recently admitted: ‘We’re not as bad as Greece, I don’t think.'”
The group has the support of the Giants, who are reluctant to give up their territorial rights in San Jose. Bud Selig has been reviewing the matter for years now, but we heard late last month that he planned to meet with the Giants in the near future in an effort to gain their approval.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 0
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 43
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 111
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)