Dec 3, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
More ballpark stuff. Janie McCauley of the Associated Press reports that a coalition group called “Stand for San Jose” filed a lawsuit yesterday against the city of San Jose claiming that they failed to perform proper environmental review of land committed to the Athletics for a new stadium.
The lawsuit comes after the San Jose City Council agreed last month to sell nearly five acres of land to the A’s at a reduced rate on the condition that is used to build a ballpark. In addition to the environmental concerns, “Stand for San Jose” argues that the city violated citizens’ rights by not putting the issue to a public vote.
“In the midst of its 11th consecutive budget deficit, San Jose politicians rushed to sell prime downtown land for only $6.9 million, even though it was acquired for $25 million and is currently appraised at approximately $14 million,” Stand for San Jose said in a statement to the AP. “This huge discount for wealthy developers who want to build a baseball stadium comes at a time of fiscal challenges so severe that the Mayor recently admitted: ‘We’re not as bad as Greece, I don’t think.'”
The group has the support of the Giants, who are reluctant to give up their territorial rights in San Jose. Bud Selig has been reviewing the matter for years now, but we heard late last month that he planned to meet with the Giants in the near future in an effort to gain their approval.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 14
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 33
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)