Dec 3, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
Valaika was shut down in early September after tearing his right ACL during a game against the Rockies. He eventually underwent surgery.
The Reds are fully expecting the 26-year-old to be back to 100 percent health by the start of spring training next February. He’ll be looking to lock up a spot on the Cincinnati bench after batting .280/.333/.400 across 27 plate appearances in 2011.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 4
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)