Dec 3, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: We can scratch at least one team off the list. According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said yesterday that he was not submitting a bid on Nakajima.
The window for teams to submit bids on Nakajima expired yesterday. According to Newman, the Seibu Lions are expected to accept the highest bid regardless of the amount. In turn, the team with the winning bid will be given an exclusive 30-day negotiating period to reach agreement on a contract.
Nakajima, 29, batted .297/.354/.433 with 16 home runs, 100 RBI and 21 stolen bases in 2011 in what was a down year for offense in NPB. He is a .302 career hitter in Japan and has surpassed at least 16 home runs and 15 stolen bases in each of the last four seasons.
It’s not known who may have submitted a bid, but a Sanspo report earlier this week indicated that the Brewers intended to so. And that makes some sense, since they have a void at shortstop right now. However, some believe Nakajima may be better suited to play second base in MLB.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)