Dec 3, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Francisco Chronicle, Pablo Sandoval won’t play for his hometown Navegantes de Magallanes in the Venezuelan Winter League. While the Giants initially cleared him to play in 10 games, he will now participate in the Home Run Derby and visit for a few days with family and friends before returning to the United States.
Sandoval’s agent, Ryan Morgan, said the change of plans had nothing to do with the recent kidnapping of Wilson Ramos in Venezuela, but that his client wants to maintain focus on his training regimen with Triple Threat Performance in Arizona. Kung Fu Panda packed on some pounds over the course of the season, but his goal is to report to spring training even lighter than he did this year.
Sandoval recently underwent LASIK surgery, which successfully corrected a 20/40 impairment in his left eye. And while he was limited during the second half of the season due to a sore left shoulder, Morgan said his client is now “100 percent.” Early contender for “best shape of his life”?
Sandoval, 25, batted .315/.357/.552 with 23 home runs, 70 RBI and a .909 OPS over 466 plate appearances this season. He is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)