Dec 3, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Francisco Chronicle, Pablo Sandoval won’t play for his hometown Navegantes de Magallanes in the Venezuelan Winter League. While the Giants initially cleared him to play in 10 games, he will now participate in the Home Run Derby and visit for a few days with family and friends before returning to the United States.
Sandoval’s agent, Ryan Morgan, said the change of plans had nothing to do with the recent kidnapping of Wilson Ramos in Venezuela, but that his client wants to maintain focus on his training regimen with Triple Threat Performance in Arizona. Kung Fu Panda packed on some pounds over the course of the season, but his goal is to report to spring training even lighter than he did this year.
Sandoval recently underwent LASIK surgery, which successfully corrected a 20/40 impairment in his left eye. And while he was limited during the second half of the season due to a sore left shoulder, Morgan said his client is now “100 percent.” Early contender for “best shape of his life”?
Sandoval, 25, batted .315/.357/.552 with 23 home runs, 70 RBI and a .909 OPS over 466 plate appearances this season. He is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)