Dec 3, 2011, 9:06 PM EDT
Pedro sat out the entire 2010 and 2011 seasons, and hinted at hanging up his cleats during an interview back in May. So the announcement comes as no surprise.
The sure-fire Hall of Famer posted a 3.63 ERA and 37/8 K/BB ratio in 44 2/3 innings for the Phillies in 2009. He’ll finish up with a sparkling 219-100 career record, a 2.93 career ERA and a 1.05 career WHIP. He struck 3,154 batters over an 18-year career.
Martinez said he’s planning to visit Boston and other cities as part of a reunion tour next summer.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)