Dec 3, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington spoke with Garber at the general managers’ meetings last month in Milwaukee, though it was believed to be a matter of due diligence at the time. While the club is in the process of negotiating with free agent slugger David Ortiz and evaluating their options to replace closer Jonathan Papelbon, they apparently haven’t ruled out making an addition to a starting rotation which wilted down the stretch.
The Nationals, Angels and Marlins are among the teams who have expressed serious interest in Wilson thus far. The Rangers are still in the mix, though Jon Heyman of SI.com reported this afternoon that they haven’t made much progress in talks. The market for Oswalt hasn’t been nearly as strong, likely due to concerns over his degenerative back condition, but the idea of a multi-year contract might be easier to swallow for teams like the Red Sox, Yankees or Nationals.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)