Dec 3, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington spoke with Garber at the general managers’ meetings last month in Milwaukee, though it was believed to be a matter of due diligence at the time. While the club is in the process of negotiating with free agent slugger David Ortiz and evaluating their options to replace closer Jonathan Papelbon, they apparently haven’t ruled out making an addition to a starting rotation which wilted down the stretch.
The Nationals, Angels and Marlins are among the teams who have expressed serious interest in Wilson thus far. The Rangers are still in the mix, though Jon Heyman of SI.com reported this afternoon that they haven’t made much progress in talks. The market for Oswalt hasn’t been nearly as strong, likely due to concerns over his degenerative back condition, but the idea of a multi-year contract might be easier to swallow for teams like the Red Sox, Yankees or Nationals.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)