Dec 3, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Blake was limited to just 63 games this season in the final year of a three-year, $17.5 million contract. The 38-year-old batted .252/.342/.371 with four homers, 26 RBI and a .713 OPS over 239 plate appearances before undergoing season-ending surgery on his neck in early September.
Blake previously played with the Indians from 2003 until July of 2008 when he was swapped to the Dodgers in the trade that brought Carlos Santana to Cleveland. Sorry to bring that one up again, Dodgers fans.
While Blake is a major question mark health-wise, Hoynes writes that the Indians view him as a potential backup at the corner infield and outfield positions and also believe he could help balance out their lefty-heavy lineup. He’ll likely have to settle for a one-year, incentive-laden deal.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)