Dec 3, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Zack Cozart was in attendance at Redsfest yesterday and confirmed to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he was cleared to resume full baseball activities beginning Monday. Cozart suffered a season-ending injury to his left (non-throwing) elbow in mid-July and eventually underwent Tommy John surgery in August.
“It’s been rehab for three months ever since the season ended,” Cozart said. “Every day, just elbow, elbow, elbow. Finally I get to do baseball — swinging, fielding, throwing. I’m basically full go. It’s a process.”
The injury occurred at an unfortunate time for Cozart, who took over the starting shortstop job from the underwhelming combo of Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria in early-July and batted .324 (12-for-37) with two homers and three RBI over his first 11 major league games. The good news is that the 26-year-old is expected to be 100 percent in time for spring training.
While Cozart is projected to be the starting shortstop next season, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said today that he is in the process of looking for a quality backup. Sheldon hears that the club was interested in utility man Ramon Santiago before he re-signed with the Tigers earlier this week.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 4
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 27
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit