Dec 3, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Zack Cozart was in attendance at Redsfest yesterday and confirmed to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he was cleared to resume full baseball activities beginning Monday. Cozart suffered a season-ending injury to his left (non-throwing) elbow in mid-July and eventually underwent Tommy John surgery in August.
“It’s been rehab for three months ever since the season ended,” Cozart said. “Every day, just elbow, elbow, elbow. Finally I get to do baseball — swinging, fielding, throwing. I’m basically full go. It’s a process.”
The injury occurred at an unfortunate time for Cozart, who took over the starting shortstop job from the underwhelming combo of Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria in early-July and batted .324 (12-for-37) with two homers and three RBI over his first 11 major league games. The good news is that the 26-year-old is expected to be 100 percent in time for spring training.
While Cozart is projected to be the starting shortstop next season, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said today that he is in the process of looking for a quality backup. Sheldon hears that the club was interested in utility man Ramon Santiago before he re-signed with the Tigers earlier this week.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)