Dec 3, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
Zack Cozart was in attendance at Redsfest yesterday and confirmed to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he was cleared to resume full baseball activities beginning Monday. Cozart suffered a season-ending injury to his left (non-throwing) elbow in mid-July and eventually underwent Tommy John surgery in August.
“It’s been rehab for three months ever since the season ended,” Cozart said. “Every day, just elbow, elbow, elbow. Finally I get to do baseball — swinging, fielding, throwing. I’m basically full go. It’s a process.”
The injury occurred at an unfortunate time for Cozart, who took over the starting shortstop job from the underwhelming combo of Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria in early-July and batted .324 (12-for-37) with two homers and three RBI over his first 11 major league games. The good news is that the 26-year-old is expected to be 100 percent in time for spring training.
While Cozart is projected to be the starting shortstop next season, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said today that he is in the process of looking for a quality backup. Sheldon hears that the club was interested in utility man Ramon Santiago before he re-signed with the Tigers earlier this week.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)