Dec 4, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
MLB did the fair thing Sunday, disclosing that Manny Ramirez would only have to serve half of the 100-game suspension he was set to receive before he announced his retirement last year. Still, how much of a favor that does the 12-time All-Star remains to be seen.
The best Ramirez could do last winter when he came with considerably less baggage was $2 million from the Rays. Now he’s a year older, coming off practically a full year off and he’s going to miss one-third of the season. It’s anyone’s guess how much he has left in his bat.
Ramirez figures to be looked at primarily as a DH, and the DH market is already crowded, what with David Ortiz, Vladimir Guerrero, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui and Magglio Ordonez available. Josh Willingham, Jason Kubel and Raul Ibanez could fit into that mix, too.
Teams likely to sign full-time designated hitters include the Red Sox, Rays, Orioles and Mariners. The Blue Jays, A’s and Twins could as well.
But no team in search of a DH is going to want to commit to Ramirez and then wait two months for him. For that reason, Ramirez’s best bet might be the National League. A team like the Reds or Marlins could give him a minor league contract and then bring him up to serve as a pinch-hitter on June 1. It might well be the best Manny can do.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)