Dec 4, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
MLB did the fair thing Sunday, disclosing that Manny Ramirez would only have to serve half of the 100-game suspension he was set to receive before he announced his retirement last year. Still, how much of a favor that does the 12-time All-Star remains to be seen.
The best Ramirez could do last winter when he came with considerably less baggage was $2 million from the Rays. Now he’s a year older, coming off practically a full year off and he’s going to miss one-third of the season. It’s anyone’s guess how much he has left in his bat.
Ramirez figures to be looked at primarily as a DH, and the DH market is already crowded, what with David Ortiz, Vladimir Guerrero, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui and Magglio Ordonez available. Josh Willingham, Jason Kubel and Raul Ibanez could fit into that mix, too.
Teams likely to sign full-time designated hitters include the Red Sox, Rays, Orioles and Mariners. The Blue Jays, A’s and Twins could as well.
But no team in search of a DH is going to want to commit to Ramirez and then wait two months for him. For that reason, Ramirez’s best bet might be the National League. A team like the Reds or Marlins could give him a minor league contract and then bring him up to serve as a pinch-hitter on June 1. It might well be the best Manny can do.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)