It’s probably not worth taking a flier on Manny Ramirez

Dec 4, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT

Baltimore Orioles v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

MLB did the fair thing Sunday, disclosing that Manny Ramirez would only have to serve half of the 100-game suspension he was set to receive before he announced his retirement last year. Still, how much of a favor that does the 12-time All-Star remains to be seen.

The best Ramirez could do last winter when he came with considerably less baggage was $2 million from the Rays. Now he’s a year older, coming off practically a full year off and he’s going to miss one-third of the season. It’s anyone’s guess how much he has left in his bat.

Ramirez figures to be looked at primarily as a DH, and the DH market is already crowded, what with David Ortiz, Vladimir Guerrero, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui and Magglio Ordonez available. Josh Willingham, Jason Kubel and Raul Ibanez could fit into that mix, too.

Teams likely to sign full-time designated hitters include the Red Sox, Rays, Orioles and Mariners. The Blue Jays, A’s and Twins could as well.

But no team in search of a DH is going to want to commit to Ramirez and then wait two months for him. For that reason, Ramirez’s best bet might be the National League. A team like the Reds or Marlins could give him a minor league contract and then bring him up to serve as a pinch-hitter on June 1. It might well be the best Manny can do.

1. pisano - Dec 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Yeah, let’s let this sleeping DOG lie. I think MLB and everyone else has had all they can stand of this idiot.

2. 2r2d - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I can’t see him signing with a team but I have been wrong with stuff like this before. I just hope it is not for a lot of money.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Twins are looking to cut payroll. They need a right-handed power bat. They’ve got a disgruntled fan base. They want to mix and match some of their kids early in the year to see what does and doesn’t work. It could make sense if Manny signs for the minimum, which he likely will have to.

Doumit/Morneau/Mauer can shift in and out at DH early in the year to keep ‘em all fresh with Doumit/Mauer catching and all three spending some time at 1B. I realize it’s just me playing fantasy GM, but it’s not the worst-idea in the world. It might be in the top ten, but it’s not the worst.

• randygnyc - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM

The Twins are known for sticking to primarily “high character” players. Even if they were to compromise on their abnormally high standards, I can’t see them regressing to “cancerous” levels. They will go with young, cheap and untested before they’ll choose old, washed up and poisonous.

• Jeremiah Graves - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Now why do you gotta ruin my fantasy GM schtick with your “logical reasoning?”

…you’re totally right, though. I think it’s just that part of me still thinks he could hit .300/.400/.550 and for the league minimum he’d be the legit right-handed monster the Twins have long-lacked.

Definitely not worth the headache though…

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM

JG: while you’re fantasizing maybe you can fantasize that Manny has grown up a little and won’t be so bad a distraction in the clubhouse? Its certainly possible. I like the idea of Manny in Minnesota. Sounds like a good fit, bat wise, and not that big of a financial commitment for a guy who might have enough life in his bat to help that club. I would love to see a resurgent Twins.

• thefalcon123 - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:53 AM

“I think it’s just that part of me still thinks he could hit .300/.400/.550 and for the league minimum he’d be the legit right-handed monster the Twins have long-lacked.”

2 players in the MLB hit .300/.400/.550 last year. If you think 40 year old Manny Ramirez could join them, I think you’re insane.

# of players who qualified for the batting title and slugged .550 in their age 40 season: 0

4. metalhead65 - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM

great thing to do mlb,just because he is old we will cut the the time he has to serve. what is the point of having rules if you do not enforce them for everybody?this guy tested positive how many times? he is not worth the trouble he causes so I hope nobody rewards his cheating ways by signing him.

5. phukyouk - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I am unable to see the links on my phone. why exactly was his suspension cut in half?

6. dasher521 - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Manny should serve his full 100 game suspension. There is no reason why it should be cut in half. He is a serial cheater.

7. Ick McWang - Dec 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I can see Ramirez taking a 1 year, 1 million deal with the Marlins, hoping he could have a good second half and get one more contract….

• thefalcon123 - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I can see Manny taking such a deal to…
      ….I just can’t see any team offering it.

8. tuloisgod - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I don’t see how that’s the “fair” thing to cut the penalty of a REPEAT OFFENDER in half just because he “retired” rather than face the music. That MLB’s drug policy is only “tough” if you’re not Manny? Give me a break.

9. mrznyc - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Obviously he believes he can’t perform off the juice and now he’s going to be two years from his last real season and heading into baseball old age – Who’s going to spend money on this?

10. thefalcon123 - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Really? Why not take a flier? I mean, sure, he hasn’t played in a year, will have to serve a 50 game suspension, has hit 1 home run in his last 139 plate appearances, can’t field at all and is generally seen as one of the biggest clubhouse distractions and serial douchebags in baseball history, but on the plus side….umm….err….

Okay, you’re right, it’s not worth it.

• bozosforall - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Manny…a “credit” to the Boston organization.

Three legends off to Cooperstown