Dec 4, 2011, 6:35 PM EDT
6:30 p.m. EDT update: CSN Chicago’s Chuck Garfien has the Marlins as the favorites to land Buehrle, a scenario that would reunite the left-hander with his former manager in Chicago, Ozzie Guillen. The Rangers and Nationals remain in the mix, and a return to the White Sox still hasn’t been ruled out.
The hot stove is finally starting to heat up.
The Nationals, Diamondbacks, Cubs, Marlins, Twins, Rangers, Yankees, Royals, Cardinals and Red Sox have all been linked to the veteran southpaw since free agency began, but Cowley has not been told where exactly the three-year proposals came from.
Buehrle, 32, posted a rock-solid 3.59 ERA in 31 starts this year for the White Sox and boasts a 3.87 ERA over his past seven seasons. He’s topped 200 innings pitched each year since 2001.
Buehrle is said to be demanding a no-trade clause and likely has enough leverage to hold out for one.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)