Dec 4, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
No word yet on the financial terms.
Nix posted an underwhelming .250 batting average and .299 on-base percentage in 2011 for the Nationals, but the 31-year-old also slugged 16 home runs in only 351 plate appearances. The Phillies were obviously attracted to his raw power, and he could get a decent chunk of playing time in left field if GM Ruben Amaro Jr. makes no further moves. Otherwise he makes a nice pinch-hitter.
The deal will be finalized after Nix takes a pre-signing physical. He’ll do that within the next few days.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 50
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)