Dec 4, 2011, 5:39 PM EST
No word yet on the financial terms.
Nix posted an underwhelming .250 batting average and .299 on-base percentage in 2011 for the Nationals, but the 31-year-old also slugged 16 home runs in only 351 plate appearances. The Phillies were obviously attracted to his raw power, and he could get a decent chunk of playing time in left field if GM Ruben Amaro Jr. makes no further moves. Otherwise he makes a nice pinch-hitter.
The deal will be finalized after Nix takes a pre-signing physical. He’ll do that within the next few days.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)