Dec 4, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
No word yet on the financial terms.
Nix posted an underwhelming .250 batting average and .299 on-base percentage in 2011 for the Nationals, but the 31-year-old also slugged 16 home runs in only 351 plate appearances. The Phillies were obviously attracted to his raw power, and he could get a decent chunk of playing time in left field if GM Ruben Amaro Jr. makes no further moves. Otherwise he makes a nice pinch-hitter.
The deal will be finalized after Nix takes a pre-signing physical. He’ll do that within the next few days.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 167
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 134
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (171)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (137)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)