Dec 4, 2011, 5:39 PM EST
No word yet on the financial terms.
Nix posted an underwhelming .250 batting average and .299 on-base percentage in 2011 for the Nationals, but the 31-year-old also slugged 16 home runs in only 351 plate appearances. The Phillies were obviously attracted to his raw power, and he could get a decent chunk of playing time in left field if GM Ruben Amaro Jr. makes no further moves. Otherwise he makes a nice pinch-hitter.
The deal will be finalized after Nix takes a pre-signing physical. He’ll do that within the next few days.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 5
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)