Dec 4, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
9:40 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Buster Olney says the Marlins and Reyes have a deal, and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports it’s for $106 million over six years and that there is not a no-trade clause included.
9:00 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com’s reports that the Marlins and Reyes are close to terms on a six-year deal believed to be worth $110 million.
8:00 p.m. EST update: The Mets are out of the bidding for Reyes, according to Newsday’s David Lennon and others. The Marlins are in the driver’s seat with a bid that multiple sources have stated tops $100 million.
Now that’s more like it.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Marlins have upped their six-year offer to Jose Reyes from $90 million to $111 million.
The deal would pay Reyes a cool $17.67 million annually for six years and includes a $22 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2018.
The Marlins are the only team known to have offered Reyes a contract, though it’s believed the Mets would be willing to go to around $16 million per year to keep him. $111 million may well get a deal done, assuming that the offer is for real and doesn’t include a bundle of deferred money.
Detroit and Milwaukee are a couple of the other teams known to have checked in on Reyes.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)