UPDATE: Marlins, Jose Reyes agree to six-year, $106 million deal

Dec 4, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT

jose reyes getty Getty Images

9:40 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Buster Olney says the Marlins and Reyes have a deal, and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports it’s for $106 million over six years and that there is not a no-trade clause included.

Analysis pieces:

Mets’ future bleak without Reyes

Marlins’ spotlight now on Hanley Ramirez

///

9:00 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com’s reports that the Marlins and Reyes are close to terms on a six-year deal believed to be worth $110 million.

8:00 p.m. EST update: The Mets are out of the bidding for Reyes, according to Newsday’s David Lennon and others. The Marlins are in the driver’s seat with a bid that multiple sources have stated tops $100 million.

///

Now that’s more like it.

According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Marlins have upped their six-year offer to Jose Reyes from $90 million to $111 million.

The deal would pay Reyes a cool $17.67 million annually for six years and includes a $22 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2018.

The Marlins are the only team known to have offered Reyes a contract, though it’s believed the Mets would be willing to go to around $16 million per year to keep him. $111 million may well get a deal done, assuming that the offer is for real and doesn’t include a bundle of deferred money.

Detroit and Milwaukee are a couple of the other teams known to have checked in on Reyes.

1. vanmorrissey - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Lot of dough for an injury prone player but Miami wants to draw fannies into the new pad and keep momentum going so sounds reasonable.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:06 AM

The only way this works out fort Mets fans is if the Marlins beat the Yankees in the series the way they did the last time they bought a championship.

• mashoaf - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Beckett, Burnett, Penny,Pavano, Redman, Willis, Castillo, Cabrera, Gonzalez, Lowell, Lee, were home grown or already on the team , Encarnacion, Pierre, Ivan Rodriguez, Hollandsworth, Urbina, and Conine were picked up before or during the season. How did they buy that championship again?

• pjmarn6 - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM

nobody looked at his stats only 44 rbi last year. second lowest in 7 years. $400,000 an rbi. Steep at half the price.

2. thejotapee - Dec 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Love it!

• Old Gator - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Madness. But if I were Scrooge McLoria I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for eating crackers….

• Ari Collins - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Loria wouldn’t kick anyone out of bed for eating anything.

• cur68 - Dec 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Given Loria’s girth I suspect he’d just eat it himself.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM

By the way, Cur, there was a great article in this week’s Science News about the dire beaver’s apparent vocal capabilities – seems the damned thing’s sinuses were interlinked by a tubelike structure that would have allowed them a wide range of very loud honking and tooting sounds. It’s as if they had built-in vulvazoolas, or whatever you call those stupid things.

Just a bit of light armament for your next cocktail party.

3. Gordon - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Pretty ballsy for Loria to blatantly spend $111 million in stolen money.

• genericcommenter - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Do any of the owners NOT use stolen money? To clarify: They all are on welfare, at the very least.

• xmatt0926x - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Agree. Loria may be a thief but he’s far from alone. It won’t take many fingers to count the amount of pro sports owners who haven’t swindled the public out of stadium money while laughing all the way to the bank. As fans, what is our response to this? When is opening day? Where can I buy my jerseys? Here is my $20 for the parking space at your new stadium.

4. nelsonsaint - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM

this offer goes to one hundred eleven…

• brianbowman16 - Dec 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Brilliant sir!

5. ikedavisnose - Dec 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Time to become a Red Sox fan Freakin Wilpons

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 5:52 AM

I wouldn’t go that far. The Yankees are much closer then the Sox

6. phillyphever - Dec 4, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Where’s Old Gator when you need him?

• Old Gator - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Having a nice quiet sushi dinner. Japanese ceviche, baked monkfish liver with ponzu sauce, a couple of sea urchin with quail egg nigiri and a baked scallop with fresh ground wasabi and diced scallions. You can keep Joe’s Stone Crab (the crabs at the Captain’s Tavern in deepest darkest Kendall are better anyway).

I unburdened myself of my opinion of this purchase in the “Spotlight on the Hanster” thread preceding this one, but to be brief about it (hee hee hee) the problem is that everyone’s counting on Hanley to find a way to rid himself of that accursed amulet and have a bounceback season. Others have voiced concern that the Hanster will sulk if he is exiled to the canvas and bead Elba of third base. That’s a good possibility, especially given that when asked about it, he channeled the immortal (though dead) Frank Drebin and insisted “I’m the shortstop, and, I’m the shortstop.”

Even so, I’m less concerned that he’ll sulk than that an unseemly percentage of his pegs to first are going to end up ricocheting off the fence in front of the field boxes if not shying a bunch of spectators in the front couple of rows.

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 5:56 AM

He’s probably waiting till the Feds complete their investigation into the “Pay to Play” scheme here in Miami before commenting on this signing. Having said that Wilpon must really feel like jerk now.

7. Ick McWang - Dec 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Deferred money worked out pretty well for Bobby Bonilla, didn’t it?

8. pistolpete31 - Dec 4, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I hope they don’t move Hanley, he had one bad year. He is an amazing talent.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:01 AM

You’re not paying attention. He had a 40-point dropoff in BA and a whole bunch of other offensive stats between 2009 and 2010, though that left him at .300, and then he had a bad year. If you plot his decline over the entire two years, it’s a pretty scary – and precipitous – falloff.

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Did you forget to mention his attitude on purpose? Or were you just being kind? That dude became a Prima Donna once he signed that big contract and I predict this signing may be the best thing that happened to Hanley. Having said that if he pouts I’m sure Ozzie will kick him in the ass. And if all else fails they’ll trade him.

• JBerardi - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:19 AM

That 40-point dropoff is entirely accounted for by BABIP, aka luck.

I can only hope the Marlins management is as down on Hanley as you are, Gator, because I want him in a Red Sox uniform, bad.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Let’s see how the early part of the season plays out, JB. If Hanley shows a heretofore unsuspected capacity to grow up, great. Beyond that, he’s been on a two-year skid that, given his injury-proneness, attitudinal problems and his mediocre fielding, seems like the net consequence of more than luck. Given the revelations of the Beanbags’ chemical imbalances, I’m not sure you really want to import another inveterate irritant into the mix up there.

• jwbiii - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM

“That 40-point dropoff is entirely accounted for by BABIP, aka luck.”

Sometimes luck, sometimes not. His LD% is down over the last two years. He’s just not hitting the ball hard as often.

9. Lukehart80 - Dec 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM

This is what’s wrong with baseball, the small market teams just can’t keep their top players.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Seriously, how are teams like the Yankees supposed to compete with contracts like this? Look at them, scraping the bottom of the barrel for players like Freddy Garcia. Shame….

10. crankyfrankie - Dec 4, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Anyone who says they saw this coming is full of malarky. I can’t see asking Hanley to change positions. If Reyes stays healhty and productive this will be a great deal.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM

I saw it coming. I just thought it was daylight, not the train.

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:29 AM

That’s a big “If”! As one baseball sage used to say, “You can look it up”.

11. ikedavisnose - Dec 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM

if the Mets dont sign Frankie Rod then I may become a Angles fan cos i cant watch this S*** anymore [sorry for the cursing but I think it was appropriate for any Mets fan to use now
    although maybe i should have used another 4-letter word directed at the Wilpons]
    OK good now I got my rant out of the way

12. joshftw - Dec 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM

The Marlins are putting money into their payroll! The endtimes are upon us!

• Old Gator - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Harold Camping listed this as one of the signs….it’s just a few months off.

• bigharold - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:57 PM

“The Marlins are putting money into their payroll! The endtimes are upon us!”

Well it will be 2012 during the next season so you might be on to something

13. siouxyaya17 - Dec 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM

whoops!

14. Reggie's Bush - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I feel like a scorned gf. I hope he blows out his hammy first game of the season.

SOB… How dumb do I feel going all ‘don’t trade Reyes’ mode wearing the shirt to CitiField and yelling the Jose Jose Jose chant all through the end of the season.

Sorry if this sounds estrogen-esque, I’m hurt :’(

• marinersnate - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM

“I feel like a scorned gf.”

With your name perhaps you should go with the feeling….

• JBerardi - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Estrogen-esque? When was the last time you saw a woman get upset over something as ridiculous as pro sports?

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Depends on the time of the month, I fear.

15. spizzjr - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:25 PM

And opening day at citi field draws a whopping crowd of 500 people 400 of which were fans of the away team

16. bigjimatch - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Mets can still get him, its only one year until the Jose Reyes trade sweepstakes, al la Carlos Delgado.

• Old Gator - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Opening day is sold out. Wanna know how much I had to pay for my ticket?

You do?

None of your goddamned business.

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Hold on now. You brought tickets? Are you and Norman Braman going to the games together? You were the last person I felt would be going to Marlins’ games after the way you expressed your disdain for Loria, Sampson and Company! Do I detect a little hypocrisy on your part? Or were you be sarcastic?

• JBerardi - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:27 AM

You mean you don’t get comped? Loria truly is classless…

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Henry: what’s hypocritical about it? There’s a nice chunk of my tax money sunken into this place. I want to see what they did with it. I’m just being a responsible citizen.

Sure hope they don’t check for my green card…..

• bigjimatch - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Wow, opening day is sold out. Congratulations! It that what passes for accomplishments down in Miami these days?

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Nope, same things pass for accomplishments here as everywhere else. It’s just that my wife watches me like a hawk.

17. crnvic847 - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Don’t worry bud, opening day at the Marlins new stadium will probably draw less than 500. All of which will be Cardinals fans. That’s gonna look good on ESPN!!!

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Dude that game is sold out already!

18. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:48 PM

On Jim Mandich day, it seems extra appropriate to say it out loud, ALRIGHT MIAMI!!!!”

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM

That would be fine if Mad Dog were still here to say it – but when you think about why it was Jim Mandich day, maybe you could pick some saint’s day off the Catholic calendar or some Mayan god off their Rube Goldberg calendric system and invoke that one instead.

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:41 AM

This is a baseball blog. Take those football comments to the other side please. Plus there were a lot of people disguised as seats at yesterday’s Dolphins’ game. The team honors a Miami Dolphins icon and they don’t sell out! What’s up with that?

19. theeperspective - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Overpaid… Reminds me a little of Soriano signing with the Cubs a few years back. If he gets on base who will hit him in besides Ramirez? Heath Bell?

• Ari Collins - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:53 AM

You may not have heard of this Mike Stanton fellow. He’s got a little bit of pop.

20. lrak76 - Dec 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM

‘Seems that that’s pretty much the limit of his diplomatic skills, because Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald tweeted that Ramirez was “not at all pleased” with a possible move to third base. In an article by Spencer posted last night, Ramirez is quoted as saying “I’m the shortstop. I’ve always been a shortstop.” Spencer added that Ramirez and Reyes — despite being portrayed as friends by some — are actually not friendly with one another.’

I hope Hanley and Jhonny Peralta are better friends than he and Reyes.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I conjure for your delectation the spectacle of a small dog and a huge rat confined within a sunken arena with hundreds of marinated field hands and vaqueros leaning over the railing, their beer cups sloshing over, waving fistfulls of money and yowling encouragement at no one in particular.

• stex52 - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Aw Jeez, now I’ll have that image stuck in my head all day. Hope it goes a little better than that, but my personal guess is that Hanley ends up in some kind of fire sale.

21. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Don’t you love it when NY fans get upset when they lose a high priced free agent? It’s like listening to Patriot fans complaining about Belichick’s inability to draft well.

22. ikedavisnose - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Gator you just love to see yourself type and hear yourself speak about things that dont even make any sense are completely irrelevant to the topic

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Ike, you need to learn to lay off the high hard ones.

23. ikedavisnose - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM

That last comment made no sense so does anyone wanna translate for me and yes I am a Met fan and an Islander so you kinda have to feel bad for me for now
    (did I mention I’m a Nyet fan also)

• unclemosesgreen - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM

I would love to explain for you, and since I have less faith in your intelligence than O.G., I’ll use small words and basic concepts. Ike Davis isn’t a very good hitter. He has a long uppercut swing that sells out for power. Against RHP he is very vulnerable to chasing fastballs up the ladder and out of the zone, and with an uppercut swing he has less than no chance of ever catching up with one of them. He also can’t hit LHP’s to save his life and is particularly vulnerable to changeups down and away. Guess what almost every LHP throws effectively?

When he’s sitting dead red, he has to trigger his swing before the ball is even released. Good luck with that approach, Ike.

As a Met fan you had few options for choosing a screen-name that incorporates a player’s name, so I do feel badly for you. As a Brooklyn Nets fan, I feel even worse for you. I may not have much courtesy for you, but I definitely have some sympathy. Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I know you. You used to run a casino in Vegas. Ever get those glasses fixed?

• henryd3rd - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM

How long have you been marooned on “Losers Island”? Mets and Islanders supporter! Damn! What is it? Those tolls increases on those bridges keeping you out in Queens or are you some kind of masochist?

• sdelmonte - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM

The Islanders are starting to wake up, so all hope is not lost.

And I also think the Mets are not a wreck, for that matter. But I seem to be the only Mets fan who isn’t all angry and grumpy today.

24. mashoaf - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Reyes could always move over to second base just like he did when Kazou Matsui became the Mets starting SS.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Nope. The Feesh have Omar Infante there. There are still too many wincing recollections of Dan Uggla’s hamhanded, clubfooted play at that bag to consider moving Omar.

• mashoaf - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Good call. Forgot about Omar. It will be an interesting move where ever they put Hanley. Do you think they’ll try and finagle a decent starter and some prospect out of a team for Hanley, if he starts to complain too much?

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Welcome to Catch-22 Land. Problem is, they will have to let him play for a while first to convince any potential suitors that his wonky shoulder is OK and that he will return to his pre-2010 form; otherwise, they’re gonna have to eat a lot of his contract to unload him. On the other hand, if he does return to his pre-2010 form, they’ll put up with a lot more of his puelling and kvetching before they hand him off, if they do at all.

25. tsi4431 - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM

As a Mets fan its easy to see that if we aren’t willing to pay an extra $2 million a year to our best and only good player, Reyes, that we are in a rebuilding period. And getting a 3rd round pick in return is a complete embarrassment. There really is no punishment for the Marlins to sign every “type A” free agent.

Mets are the new Pirates.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5049)