Dec 4, 2011, 9:40 PM EST
9:40 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Buster Olney says the Marlins and Reyes have a deal, and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports it’s for $106 million over six years and that there is not a no-trade clause included.
9:00 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com’s reports that the Marlins and Reyes are close to terms on a six-year deal believed to be worth $110 million.
8:00 p.m. EST update: The Mets are out of the bidding for Reyes, according to Newsday’s David Lennon and others. The Marlins are in the driver’s seat with a bid that multiple sources have stated tops $100 million.
Now that’s more like it.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Marlins have upped their six-year offer to Jose Reyes from $90 million to $111 million.
The deal would pay Reyes a cool $17.67 million annually for six years and includes a $22 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2018.
The Marlins are the only team known to have offered Reyes a contract, though it’s believed the Mets would be willing to go to around $16 million per year to keep him. $111 million may well get a deal done, assuming that the offer is for real and doesn’t include a bundle of deferred money.
Detroit and Milwaukee are a couple of the other teams known to have checked in on Reyes.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)