Dec 4, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
9:40 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Buster Olney says the Marlins and Reyes have a deal, and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports it’s for $106 million over six years and that there is not a no-trade clause included.
9:00 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com’s reports that the Marlins and Reyes are close to terms on a six-year deal believed to be worth $110 million.
8:00 p.m. EST update: The Mets are out of the bidding for Reyes, according to Newsday’s David Lennon and others. The Marlins are in the driver’s seat with a bid that multiple sources have stated tops $100 million.
Now that’s more like it.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Marlins have upped their six-year offer to Jose Reyes from $90 million to $111 million.
The deal would pay Reyes a cool $17.67 million annually for six years and includes a $22 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2018.
The Marlins are the only team known to have offered Reyes a contract, though it’s believed the Mets would be willing to go to around $16 million per year to keep him. $111 million may well get a deal done, assuming that the offer is for real and doesn’t include a bundle of deferred money.
Detroit and Milwaukee are a couple of the other teams known to have checked in on Reyes.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (159)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)