Dec 4, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
9:40 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Buster Olney says the Marlins and Reyes have a deal, and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports it’s for $106 million over six years and that there is not a no-trade clause included.
9:00 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com’s reports that the Marlins and Reyes are close to terms on a six-year deal believed to be worth $110 million.
8:00 p.m. EST update: The Mets are out of the bidding for Reyes, according to Newsday’s David Lennon and others. The Marlins are in the driver’s seat with a bid that multiple sources have stated tops $100 million.
Now that’s more like it.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Marlins have upped their six-year offer to Jose Reyes from $90 million to $111 million.
The deal would pay Reyes a cool $17.67 million annually for six years and includes a $22 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2018.
The Marlins are the only team known to have offered Reyes a contract, though it’s believed the Mets would be willing to go to around $16 million per year to keep him. $111 million may well get a deal done, assuming that the offer is for real and doesn’t include a bundle of deferred money.
Detroit and Milwaukee are a couple of the other teams known to have checked in on Reyes.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 21
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)