Dec 4, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
9:40 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Buster Olney says the Marlins and Reyes have a deal, and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports it’s for $106 million over six years and that there is not a no-trade clause included.
9:00 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com’s reports that the Marlins and Reyes are close to terms on a six-year deal believed to be worth $110 million.
8:00 p.m. EST update: The Mets are out of the bidding for Reyes, according to Newsday’s David Lennon and others. The Marlins are in the driver’s seat with a bid that multiple sources have stated tops $100 million.
Now that’s more like it.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Marlins have upped their six-year offer to Jose Reyes from $90 million to $111 million.
The deal would pay Reyes a cool $17.67 million annually for six years and includes a $22 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2018.
The Marlins are the only team known to have offered Reyes a contract, though it’s believed the Mets would be willing to go to around $16 million per year to keep him. $111 million may well get a deal done, assuming that the offer is for real and doesn’t include a bundle of deferred money.
Detroit and Milwaukee are a couple of the other teams known to have checked in on Reyes.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 22
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 35
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)