Dec 4, 2011, 11:50 PM EST
It was easy to be cynical about the Marlins in the early days of the Hot Stove. With their new name/logo/uniforms and stadium, many believed that their courtship of big-ticket free agents was all an elaborate publicity stunt designed to drum up season ticket sales. Well, now that they have landed both Heath Bell and Jose Reyes, it’s about time we take them seriously.
Of course, the Marlins already made an offer to Pujols, though it was reportedly much lower than the one by the Cardinals (roughly $198-210 million over nine years, depending upon which report you read) way back in February. And that won’t get it done. They’re still a longshot here — all things being equal, he’d probably prefer to stay in St. Louis — but perhaps this is the leverage he needs to get the Cardinals to improve upon their offer.
By the way, the Marlins might not be the Cardinals’ only competition for Pujols. According to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com, other teams believe that the Cubs will make a push by offering Pujols a higher average annual salary over less years.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)