Report: Marlins plan to make “aggressive push” to sign Albert Pujols

Dec 4, 2011, 11:50 PM EDT

pujols getty Getty Images

It was easy to be cynical about the Marlins in the early days of the Hot Stove. With their new name/logo/uniforms and stadium, many believed that their courtship of big-ticket free agents was all an elaborate publicity stunt designed to drum up season ticket sales. Well, now that they have landed both Heath Bell and Jose Reyes, it’s about time we take them seriously.

With that in mind, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Marlins plan to make an “aggressive push” over the next two days to sign free agent first baseman Albert Pujols.

Of course, the Marlins already made an offer to Pujols, though it was reportedly much lower than the one by the Cardinals (roughly $198-210 million over nine years, depending upon which report you read) way back in February. And that won’t get it done. They’re still a longshot here — all things being equal, he’d probably prefer to stay in St. Louis — but perhaps this is the leverage he needs to get the Cardinals to improve upon their offer.

By the way, the Marlins might not be the Cardinals’ only competition for Pujols. According to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com, other teams believe that the Cubs will make a push by offering Pujols a higher average annual salary over less years.

1. Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Must we take the Feesh seriously? Awwwww……

Okay, yeah, I did once, and the last seven years have been rough. Even so, good habits die hard.

• JBerardi - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM

If they get Pujols, maybe you have to take the seriously. Otherwise we’re talking about a team that finished 72-90 last year on the strength of a 72-90 pythagorean record. One oft-injured shortstop and one declining reliever don’t punch a hole in the universe, and they certainly don’t close an 18-win gap.

Now, maybe if you want to talk about bounce-back seasons from Hanley and Josh Johnson, you could get into the 90 win range, but when your team is in “well, if everything breaks our way, we’re contenders” mode, guess what? They’re not contenders.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Seems like the Marlins had quite a bit of bad luck last year – the addition of Jose Reyes, the return to “normal” for Hanley and Johnson (two guys almost universally considered very talented) the further development of Muscles Stanton – with or without Pujols they’re in the mix for wild card – with Pujols and a bit of luck they could win it all. BTW – as a Mets fan this post gives me little pleasure.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM

JB: You hit that one right on the fontanelles.

Purnell: It wasn’t just “bad luck.” They played terrible baseball. As mediocre as the starting pitching was, the fielding behind them was just as bad and, as I keep pointing out, the situational hitting (sub-Mendoza with RISP) was even worse. Among the very worst: The beloved Tweeter himself, .146 RISP.

2. Walk - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Kinda looking up for you og, at least until one thinks about the uniforms.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Well first off I want to apologize. I really thought that all of the initial talk about the Marlins going after this player or that player was all PR and no substance. I WAS WRONG.

Whose next? Pujols maybe CJ Wilson. Spin the wheel where it stops nobody knows. It looks like the Marlins really want to make the NL East a battleground. Now if the Nationals land Fielder and Buehrle watch out. The NL East could wind up being the toughest division in MLB with the Phillies, Braves, Marlins and National all fighting for the top spot.

Ain’t baseball grand !!!

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Yeah, but you know what – call me anhedonic if you wish but I’m beginning to get this “worst team that money could buy” feeling about all of this. I’m wary about how they’re going about this: they pay a lot of money to Reyes, who is injury-prone, and then shove their previous “face of the franchise,” who has also proven himself injury prone, off his position to…where? If it’s third base, that’s not something to be pleased about, given his endemic inability to make accurate throws from short to first, much less 20% further. If it’s to center that’s just OK – but the Hanster sounds like he’s going to be unhappy either way. Then what do you do about third base? Do you give Matt Dominguez a shot? Plus, you find out that Hanley and Reyes don’t even like each other very much. Oh-kaaaaayyyy.

And if center, what do you do with Bonifacio?

They’re being driven by a big off-field consideration here, namely, pack the nice new house. It might bring lots of tushies to Macondo Banana Massacre Field, but it’s also introducing a lot of on-field question marks that aren’t going to be settled until the end of spring training, if then. Sure, this is better than the cheapskate policies of yesteryear, but is it smart team-building? I’m not ready to think that it is yet.

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Oh come on OG what’s the worst that could happen?

Oh yeah, they become the Eagles of the MLB, the “dream team” if you will, which could become a nightmare and turn them into a laughing stock by June. Thanks for reminding me.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Nah just take the better player and move him to a worse position a la the Yankees because the prima donna SS has to have his way.

Not bitter at all am I….

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:39 AM

ultimateyankeefan: don’t worry about being wrong. NO ONE thought the Marlins were going to really make a serious offer to any player of substance. We were all wrong. I am as surprised by this as I am by my dog break dancing in this dream I had last night…it also featured a huge prehistoric-looking beaver playing a digeridoo for some reason…thanks a lot, Gator.

4. btwicey - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Apparently marlins hq is a drug store or something? Wowza

5. ducksouped - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM

This is very boring. Who cares about any of this till he puts pen to paper, when he has a signed contract I’ll pay attention, till then it’s all calculated moves by agents

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:10 AM

If you think this is boring, then this is not the blog for you…just check the morning headlines of your local paper and you should be good to go.

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:43 AM

they still make those things?

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I think so, I get mail from them begging me to subscribe every two months or so….I can’t tell if it is a scam or legit.

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM

hmm….maybe I should stop cussing out that kid on a bike who keeps hitting my house with a rolled up piece of paper at 4 in the morning then. I just figured he was screwing with me. Always admired his persistence though.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I get the Dacron Republican-Democrat. I like to keep tabs on what’s going on in the heartland: http://www.marksverylarge.com/archives/2004_11.html

6. biz518 - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Ducksouped…

Despite the headline, the story is more shedding light on the fact that the marlins are serious about this season for a change and are actually spending money…i for one hope they do make a run at pujols

7. mojosmagic - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I have to admit the Marlins have done more in free agency then I thought but Pujos will end up in Chicago or back with the Cards. My dog will start a latin rap career if Pujos ends up in Miami.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I thought it was trendy to eat Hats around here…

8. westcoastredbird - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM

The Marlins are making an aggresive push for Albert at the same time Albert’s wife is making an aggressive push to get rid of his agent Dan Lozano. Man this is getting good. The real housewives of major league free agents! You just can’t make this stuff up. No wonder the Marlins are in a big hurry to the land the big fish before he gets away.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4723)