Dec 5, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com was told by an “industry source” that neither Rockies’ pitching coach Bob Apodaca or former major-league pitching coach Rick Peterson are candidates to join Bobby Valentine’s staff in Boston.
Apodaca served as the Mets’ pitching coach with Valentine from 1996-1999. He has worked with the Rockies in the same capacity since 2003. Peterson has had previous gigs in the big leagues with the Athletics, Mets and Brewers. He didn’t work with a professional team this season, but recently interviewed for a minor league pitching coordinator position with the Orioles.
The Red Sox are likely focused on player acquisitions this week, so it’s difficult to get a read where they stand in regard to potential candidates. Jack Curry of YES Network reported last Thursday that Valentine put out a call to David Cone, but he is not expected to take the job. Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com wrote over the weekend that Bobby V could consider former Rangers pitching coach Orel Hershiser, who worked in the broadcast booth with him this season at ESPN, though the former Cy Young Award winner is reportedly putting together a group to bid for the Dodgers.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)