Dec 5, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com was told by an “industry source” that neither Rockies’ pitching coach Bob Apodaca or former major-league pitching coach Rick Peterson are candidates to join Bobby Valentine’s staff in Boston.
Apodaca served as the Mets’ pitching coach with Valentine from 1996-1999. He has worked with the Rockies in the same capacity since 2003. Peterson has had previous gigs in the big leagues with the Athletics, Mets and Brewers. He didn’t work with a professional team this season, but recently interviewed for a minor league pitching coordinator position with the Orioles.
The Red Sox are likely focused on player acquisitions this week, so it’s difficult to get a read where they stand in regard to potential candidates. Jack Curry of YES Network reported last Thursday that Valentine put out a call to David Cone, but he is not expected to take the job. Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com wrote over the weekend that Bobby V could consider former Rangers pitching coach Orel Hershiser, who worked in the broadcast booth with him this season at ESPN, though the former Cy Young Award winner is reportedly putting together a group to bid for the Dodgers.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 35
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)