Dec 5, 2011, 9:38 PM EDT
Yesterday it was Manny, today it’s Da Meat Hook.
Dmitri Young is in attendance at the Winter Meetings in Dallas and word from multiple baseball scribes is that he is in the best shape of his life. Really.
According to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com, he has lost 70 pounds (!) and is hoping to make a comeback in MLB.
This news doesn’t come as a tremendous shock, as Craig recently mentioned that the slimmed-down Young suited up for Caribes de Anzoategui in the Venezuelan Winter League. Unfortunately things didn’t go so well. He was released after batting just .167 (11-for-66) in 20 games.
It’s fun to root for comebacks, but Young is 38 years old and hasn’t played in the big leagues since 2008 as a member of the Nationals. It’s a longshot, but perhaps some GM will give him a spring training invite. He’s apparently willing to go to Japan if he can’t find an opportunity with an MLB club.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)