UPDATE: Dodgers sign Jerry Hairston Jr. to two-year, $6 million deal

Dec 5, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT

Jerry Hairston Jr. Getty Images

6:25 p.m. EST update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says the deal is done. Hairston will receive $6 million over two years, plus incentives, from the Dodgers. He’ll serve as a backup in both the infield and outfield, and he could push Juan Uribe for playing time at third base if Uribe struggles to bounce back from an awful 2011 season.

///

Ned Colletti: “Hey, Jerry. I think you’re great. I know there are a lot of teams out there who would love to have you around next season. I tell ya what I’m going to do. I’m going to offer you a two-year deal.”

Jerry Hairston Jr.: “Two years, Ned? I’m 35 years old, I’ve been in the big leagues 14 seasons and I’ve never had a multiyear deal. What’s the catch?”

Ned: “Catch? No catch. Well, I mean, you’ll have to settle for $1 million next year. But I can promise you a cool $5 million in 2012.”

Jerry: “OK, sure, why the heck not?”

///

Hairston is coming off one of his better years, having hit .270/.344/.383 in 337 at-bats for the Nationals and Brewers, and while he’s not much of a shortstop, his versatility does make him pretty valuable, even if it’s more the kind of value that leads teams to offer him one-year, $2 million contracts. If this gets done, it could potentially be the first time he’s spent two full years with the same team since his tenure with the Orioles ended after the 2004 season.

1. bmoreballers - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

That last sentence ruined my day

2. bloodysock - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Colletti has officially gone crazy.

3. cup0pizza - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Colletti never was sane. How did this guy ever get hired? Such an awful g.m. it defies description.

4. sjsharksfan11 - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM

He learned from Sabean how to blowup a decent ball club. How either have a job as a GM is beside me.

5. dodger88 - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM

At this point I simply numb from the non-Kemp signings. My only hope is to bookend this madness with a long term deal from Kershaw. Maybe by 2013 when these ridiculous deals are up we have a good GM to put together a solid supporting cast for K&K.

6. finfan88shark - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM

LOL! Love the signing from a Giants prospective.

7. cup0pizza - Dec 6, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Hopefully the next owner fires Colletti immediately upon seizing the team and hires Pat Gillick.

8. uwsptke - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I really liked what Hairston did for the Brewers down the stretch, but this is a little crazy. Now I think we know who Doug Melvin was referring to when he indicated he wasn’t interested in spending $3 million per year on a utility man. Getting burnt by spending $8 million a year on super-utility man Bill Hall is way too fresh in his mind.

Ace-killer Giants do it again