Dec 5, 2011, 4:23 PM EDT
An NL official told ESPN’s Buster Olney that free agent Cody Ross is currently seeking a three-year deal.
The 31-year-old Ross was a disappointment for the Giants last season, finishing at .240/.325/.405 with 14 homers and 52 RBI in 405 at-bats. He’d seem to fall in line behind Michael Cuddyer and Josh Willingham among free agent outfielders, and neither of those two is a lock to get a three-year deal.
What Ross does have going for him is that he’s an above average defender in a corner and an adequate center fielder. However, since he finished at .804 in his first year of regular playing time with the Marlins in 2008, his OPS has dipped each season. He ended up at .790 in 2009, .735 in 2010 and .730 in 2011. Also, the bulk of his production comes against left-handers: he’s hit .282/.349/.563 versus southpaws in his career, compared to .253/.313/.414 against righties.
The total package makes Ross a fringe regular, though he’d be an outstanding fourth outfielder as a starter against lefties and an occasional fill-in against righties. Had he entered free agency a year ago, there’s a chance he might have gotten that three-year deal. Coming off a mediocre 2011, he’ll be fortunate if someone antes up $10 million for two years.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)