Marlins had 30-minute meeting with Albert Pujols’ agent today

Dec 5, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT

pujols reuters Reuters

Reports last night that the Marlins were making an aggressive push to sign Albert Pujols took the next step today, as the team met for 30 minutes with the first baseman’s agent, Dan Lozano.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that an offer was made, let alone that the Marlins are ahead of the Cardinals’ longstanding offer, but clearly Miami is serious about pursuing Pujols even after signing Jose Reyes and Heath Bell.

Lozano is also said to have Pujols-related meetings scheduled with the Cubs and Cardinals.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I still think he goes back to St. Louis. I see the Cubs getting Fielder (though I don’t want them to), and Miami landing Buerhle or Wilson.

• bowens3181 - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

With all the misinformation out there I’m having a hard time predicting things this offseason. I could easily see this scenario as happening, however if I were going to make predictions, I would say Pujols to the Cubs, Fielder to the Jays, Buerhle to the Marlins, Wilson to the Nats.

• Ari Collins - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM

It’s a fun game! I say Pujols back to the Cards and Fielder to… god, who knows. Maybe the Rangers or Blue Jays. Neither’s a perfect fit, but no one is a great fit for Fielder.

Buerhle to the Marlins makes a lot of sense, but I’m going with Wilson to the Angels.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM

bowens, if all of that happened, my mind would be blown. But hey, what fun articles we’d get to read, eh?

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

The one thing I can not envision is A.P going to Chicago. Unless it where of the White Sox variety. I realize in today’s FA market…monies typically talk. But I have a very difficult time believing that he would do that. Talk about the ultimate bitch slap. Aside from that though…he has always maintained that winning is the most important thing to him. So…let’s assume he is a Man of his word. If so…would you pick the Cubs or Marlins?

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM

If Pujols chooses to spend the rest of his career losing in Chicago, I can’t begrudge him that.

• Ari Collins - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM

If he wants to win, Florida’s a better choice than Chicago.

Of course, St. Louis is a better choice than either.

• Kevin S. - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Actually, I think Toronto’s a fantastic fit for Prince Fielder. 1B/DH are the only real holes in their lineup, they have payroll flexibility (courtesy of Kenny Williams and Tony Reagins), and adding Prince’s roughly five wins or so probably makes them a high-80s win true talent team. With the extra wild card and not a whole lot of good fortune, that makes them a playoff team. I’m not sure there’s a Prince suitor out there who gets more out of the marginal wins he’d provide.

• Ari Collins - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:57 PM

You might have a point. I believe I’ve been overestimating how attached Toronto is to Lind and Snider.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I hope you are right on all accounts Matt!

2. sknut - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I have a hard time seeing Pujols leaving, but to meet for 30 minutes must mean that Pujols and his agent respect what the Marlins are offering and are taking it serious. I give the Marlins credit for being aggressive.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I hear what you are saying Sknut. But if the meeting could potentially up the ante and force St. Louis’ hands…then it could be productive for him.

• karlton2 - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Exactly stlouis1baseball. Precisely what I was alluding to below.

• sknut - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM

That is true, but as a Cards fan does that offend you or is that just business? I am conflicted on that, I get both sides of it. I guess it depends on how much it moves the needle north of 200 million.

• randygnyc - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:47 PM

But really, how much more than $200 M could it be? He’s already a beloved legend in St Louis. He’s already won there so he’s not out there looking for his first ring. Why the he’ll would he even consider starting over someplace new? For what, a few million dollars more? Even 10 or 15 million more? He’s some kind of ignorant to even be in this position. The only player in the history of baseball that could have had his statue built while still playing…..

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Do we know how long team-agent meetings usually go? I’m actually not sure if this is a standard length meeting or not.

• karlton2 - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM

It’s long enough to artificially inflate a pricetag.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Exactly Karlton. Precisely what I was alluding to above.

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Oh noes, Pujols met with the Marlins for 30 minutes, quick let’s offer another 20 mil before that meeting goes 40 minutes.

A meeting won’t affect the price tag….now….an offer, that would affect the price tag….put Pujols can have all the meetings he wants and if those don’t result in offers that exceed what the Cardinals have on the table…those meetings will have no affect on price whatsoever.

4. cosanostra71 - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

were hookers involved? No meeting with Lozano is complete without them

• sknut - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

No meeting in general is complete without them.

• okwhitefalcon - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Well, John Heyman is a Florida resident – maybe Lozano hired him away from Scott Boras to help “facilitate” the process if ya know what I mean..

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I can’t imagine they were with the Cubs. My man Theo is like a married version of George Clooney.

5. luckynucky - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I think it’s time for Albert to decide whether he wants the Money, or the Fame. Marlins are not baseball’s favorite place to play. Scarce fans, band-wagoners, old shoes, and a team playing for a shot.

What’s in your wallet, Albert?

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate