Dec 5, 2011, 4:20 PM EST
After the Marlins signed new closer Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million contract, many assumed that they would non-tender Juan Carlos Oviedo before the December 12 deadline. That’s not the case, apparently.
Aside from amusingly referring to Oviedo as “the closer formerly known as Leo Nunez,” Marlins president Larry Beinfest said this afternoon (via Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com) that they still plan to tender him a contract. Oviedo is currently working through legal issues in the Dominican Republic after admitting in September to faking his identity.
Oviedo figures to make $5-6 million as a fourth-time arbitration-eligible player, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense for the Marlins to keep him around as an overpriced set-up man. The most likely scenario is that they’ll attempt to see if there are any takers before next week’s non-tender deadline. And given his complicated legal status and the number of free agent closer-types available, that’s probably a longshot.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)