Dec 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post spoke to a Nationals source who classified the team’s alleged interest as “not even a good lie.”
Washington already has $8 million committed to Adam LaRoche at first base, although he’s a question mark after missing all but 43 games with a shoulder injury.
Obviously if Pujols or Fielder feel like lowering their demands the number of teams legitimately in the mix for them would increase, but right now the market for the slugging first basemen seems pretty well defined as just 2-3 teams apiece.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 13
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)