Dec 5, 2011, 8:33 PM EDT
Octavio Dotel‘s next contract figures to make some wonder why the Cardinals didn’t just exercise their $3.5 million option.
According to MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez, the Brewers, Cardinals, Mets, Reds and Tigers have all inquired about the free agent reliever. Dotel’s reps have already met with the Brewers and Tigers.
Dotel, 37, had a 3.50 ERA in 54 innings for the Blue Jays and Cardinals last season. He turned into one of Tony La Russa’s favorite relievers in the postseason, appearing in 12 games and amassing a 2.61 ERA in 10 1/3 innings.
The Brewers have a need for a right-handed setup man with Francisco Rodriguez, Takashi Saito and LaTroy Hawkins all filing for free agency the winter. The Tigers are also looking for help after their younger relievers struggled mightily in the postseason, leaving Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit and lefty Phil Coke as the team’s only reliable options. The Mets and Reds might be more interesting destinations for Dotel, though, as they could offer him the chance to add to his total of 108 career saves.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 41
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 23
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 78
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)