Dec 5, 2011, 8:33 PM EDT
Octavio Dotel‘s next contract figures to make some wonder why the Cardinals didn’t just exercise their $3.5 million option.
According to MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez, the Brewers, Cardinals, Mets, Reds and Tigers have all inquired about the free agent reliever. Dotel’s reps have already met with the Brewers and Tigers.
Dotel, 37, had a 3.50 ERA in 54 innings for the Blue Jays and Cardinals last season. He turned into one of Tony La Russa’s favorite relievers in the postseason, appearing in 12 games and amassing a 2.61 ERA in 10 1/3 innings.
The Brewers have a need for a right-handed setup man with Francisco Rodriguez, Takashi Saito and LaTroy Hawkins all filing for free agency the winter. The Tigers are also looking for help after their younger relievers struggled mightily in the postseason, leaving Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit and lefty Phil Coke as the team’s only reliable options. The Mets and Reds might be more interesting destinations for Dotel, though, as they could offer him the chance to add to his total of 108 career saves.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)