Phillies “actively trying to move” Placido Polanco

Dec 5, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Reports that the Phillies are strongly pursuing free agent third base Aramis Ramirez apparently have some legs, because according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com they’re “actively trying to move” incumbent third baseman Placido Polanco.

Polanco still has $7.25 million remaining on a three-year, $18 million contract that was widely panned at the time and is coming off a career-worst season in which he missed 40 games with various injuries. He’s also 36 years old, so the Phillies would likely have to eat at least some of his salary and take back a marginal prospect to get a deal done.

From a purely on-field standpoint keeping Polanco around in a utility role would make sense even after signing Ramirez, but obviously a $7.25 million part-time player is a tough fit for even the Phillies’ massive payroll.

1. Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Hilarious. Craig takes his leave this morning promising to be blogging like mad all day, and all the reportage since then has been coming from Aaron, Drew and Shorty – who are Buddha knows how far from Dallas.

Obviously, Craig ran into someone with a sample case of bourbons…..

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Oh – heh – forgot. That’s the Chihuahua over there, standing on the barstool, frantically trying to get Amaro’s attention and passing him napkins with ballpoint scrawls that read “Hey Ruben, is that a real third baseman you’re selling?”

2. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM

“Polanco still has $7.25 million remaining on a three-year, $18 million contract that was widely panned at the time and is coming off a career-worst season in which he missed 40 games with various injuries. ”

Or just a TAD more objectively…

“Polanco, a Gold Glove winner 3 times in the last 5 years and a 2011 All Star at Third Base…”

#justsaying

• thefalcon123 - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Or just a TAD more objectively…

“Polanco, a 2011 All-Star who slugged just .339 with a paltry 85 OPS+ at third base…”

#justsaying

• Chris Fiorentino - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:48 PM

No, falcon, when Aaron uses words like “widely panned”(which is flat-out wrong) and you use words like “just” and “paltry”, you are injecting subjectivity into the reporting. What I wrote is 100% fact. I didn’t add words like “a great fielder” or “amazing 2011 All-Star season”. I said what he was…a winner of 3 GGs in the last 5 years and an All Star at 3rd base in 2011. Those are the facts. You guys want to call his production paltry and say his contract was widely panned(which again, it was not) then that’s called subjectivity.

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM

have to disagree on this one CF. Both facts you’re using rely almost entirely on subjectivity as they’re determined by the opinion/votes of others, and not stats that are more relevent.

Couldn’t I take the same facts you used above to prove that Derek Jeter is still a great fielding SS.

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:10 PM

The Polanco signing was widely panned at the time for being too long and for too many dollars.

• Chris Fiorentino - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Again, CJ, you have to read exactly what I am saying. I’m not giving a single opinion on the skills of Placido Polanco. Did I use the words “great fielder”? Nope. Here’s what I wrote, which was REPORTING 101…

Tell me where I said he is a great fielder? Tell me where I said anything subjectively about his skills? I simply pointed out the facts. What aaron and falcon are doing is adding adjectives to his stats, with Aaron going as far as demeaning Polanco entirely, to the point where you have to wonder whether he is even a major league ballplayer anymore, even though he was an all star and won the GG in 2011.

Again, I am not making any subjective statements about Polanco. Just saying that in an article about the guy, would it be too much to ask to include some facts instead of saying he is a utility player who missed a whole 40 games last year? How about some of the positive facts about him?

p.s. Paper…can you link me to an article because I couldn’t find any legitimate articles panning the signing…unless we have two different definitions of legitimate. Stark didn’t seem to have a problem with it.

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I didn’t put words in your mouth, and you didn’t say anything subjective. All I’m saying is that those “facts” are merely subjective in and of themselves in that they’re deterimned exclusively by the subjective votes of the media, other players, etc.

If you’re going to complain about subjectivity, don’t use ASGs and GGs as your defense. Pot, meet kettle.

3. manifunk - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Polanco has been actively trying to move himself since September but keeps getting hurt

• Jonny 5 - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM

THAT, was funny. LOL….

4. CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

idk…if it were me, they’d have to pay 100% of his salary and maybe even give me the prospect. Don’t get me wrong, he isn’t useless and can still play when healthy, which these days seems to be more “not” than “often”, if you will. The guy’s coming off a double hernia at 36 playing the hot corner (or second). Gets on base well still, but not much speed or power. Great glove but his range is decreasing.

He has enough value where’s he’s better to keep as a bench player than to give away for free. And no one will take him for less than free given the circumstances, I’d imagine.

5. joshftw - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

This has been today’s edition of “Good Luck With That!”

6. xmatt0926x - Dec 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Polanco still has alot of value as a utility guy who can back up at 3rd and 2nd base. Yeah, he’s had hernia issues last season and had an elbow issue the season before but that was due to a hit by pitch, not age related breaking down of the body. His glove is still fantastic. I wonder how many of the commenters on here ever actually see a player on a consistent basis before tearing him apart. If the Phillies ate some of his salary he’d be a great pickup for any team and I wish the Phils could keep him.

7. timasahh - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I’m really curious about this decision, as am I about the rumors surrounding Ramirez. I don’t understand how signing a third baseman fixes the shortstop problem if we don’t get Jimmy Rollins. The only way I see that making sense is if Ramirez moves to short, or if the Phillies’ brass somehow pulls a deal out of their hat for both players. Even still, I feel there should be room for Polanco on the team. When healthy he has been a solid right handed, high average at-bat, and with Howard’s injury looming and putting uncertainty in the infield, he gives us another viable option that can play second and third and help solidify the bench. I’m thinking either the FO is banking on Howard making a quick recovery or has something up their sleeve and doesn’t think the money is worth it for a back-up. Regardless, as I said before I’m interested to see how this all plays out, because as of right now I’m not able to connect the dots.

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM

this does nothing to fix the SS issue. It only fixes the issue where they’re just relying too much on Polanco at this point and strenghtens that part of the lineup. At the same time it does mean there’s less $$$ to spend to address SS. Of course, with a better hitting 3B, SS is less of a concern and they’re more apt to going with a cheaper and/or less proven alternative there.

• timasahh - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:39 PM

That makes sense. I guess I’m still on board with Polanco though, and I’d much rather see Chase get a break from beating himself up on the field by playing first and letting Polly fill his vacancy at second while Howard recovers than have any of these recent signings fill in for Howard. I guess that’s not the direction the FO is thinking, though. They seem to have confidence in Howard’s recovery, and if that is the case Polly would be an expensive bench player if they look for that offensive boost from a position other than SS. We know they have good defensive guys in the system already that could fill in and produce there so maybe that’s what they’re thinking if Rollins and them can’t come to a deal. Still going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

8. pjcostello - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Signing a thirds baseman who can HIT, and hit with some power, means they can bring up the young shortstop from the minors and not worry about his batting — only his glove.

9. luckynucky - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

You (Writer) are shortchanging Polanco. He may be 36 yrs.old, but this guy can still play with the best of them. Before the injuries (dbl hernia, elbow), he was smacking the ball around for his average (.301). Again, you can thank the SF Giants for hitting ballplayers with that Motto, “If you can’t beat them, then bean them.”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet