Red Sox didn’t match Marlins’ offer to Heath Bell

Dec 5, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT

Heath Bell Reuters

In the news conference to announce his signing with the Marlins on Monday, Heath Bell said the Red Sox made him an offer, but that it came up short of the three-year, $27 million pact he got from the Marlins.

“I thought, ‘Red Sox would be cool. I’ve got an inside track. I know [Adrian Gonzalez] real well.’” Bell said. “I know Adrian made a couple phone calls. But for whatever reason, the contract that they offered wasn’t living up to what my guys thought we could get. They said other clubs did offer a little bit more. I thought this was the best fit for me and my family. The National League East is definitely open. The Marlins can definitely win this year.”

After being mentioned in trade rumors so frequently the last year and a half, Bell held out for a three-year deal.

“I really wanted to know that I was going to be someplace for multiple years,” Bell said. “I didn’t want to go someplace for a year or two. I wanted to build something there.”

The Red Sox, meanwhile, remain in the market for a closer. They’ll probably be willing to top their Bell offer in order to get Ryan Madson, but if they can’t get that done, they could give the role to Daniel Bard.

1. xmatt0926x - Dec 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I have to think that Ryan Madson is getting a little sick in the stomach at this point. If the Redsox don’t give him a big offer, who will? As far as Bell’s contention that the NL East is wide open, the Marlins better improve the starting staff some. Even with Reyes they aren’t with the Phillies or the Braves yet.

• Ari Collins - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:19 PM

You never know who will offer big money for a closer. Who thought it’d be the Marlins? No team couldn’t use a high-quality reliever, and few teams won’t overpay for it.

2. Ari Collins - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Good.

• JBerardi - Dec 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I’m just a little concerned that they even made him an offer.

• Ari Collins - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Yeah. Hopefully it was, like, two years and $18MM. I could stomach something like that for a Heath Bell type. Maybe Frank Francisco or K-Rod?

3. bozosforall - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Once again, the Red Sux choke.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3439)