Dec 5, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
In the news conference to announce his signing with the Marlins on Monday, Heath Bell said the Red Sox made him an offer, but that it came up short of the three-year, $27 million pact he got from the Marlins.
“I thought, ‘Red Sox would be cool. I’ve got an inside track. I know [Adrian Gonzalez] real well.’” Bell said. “I know Adrian made a couple phone calls. But for whatever reason, the contract that they offered wasn’t living up to what my guys thought we could get. They said other clubs did offer a little bit more. I thought this was the best fit for me and my family. The National League East is definitely open. The Marlins can definitely win this year.”
After being mentioned in trade rumors so frequently the last year and a half, Bell held out for a three-year deal.
“I really wanted to know that I was going to be someplace for multiple years,” Bell said. “I didn’t want to go someplace for a year or two. I wanted to build something there.”
The Red Sox, meanwhile, remain in the market for a closer. They’ll probably be willing to top their Bell offer in order to get Ryan Madson, but if they can’t get that done, they could give the role to Daniel Bard.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (68)