Dec 5, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
In the news conference to announce his signing with the Marlins on Monday, Heath Bell said the Red Sox made him an offer, but that it came up short of the three-year, $27 million pact he got from the Marlins.
“I thought, ‘Red Sox would be cool. I’ve got an inside track. I know [Adrian Gonzalez] real well.’” Bell said. “I know Adrian made a couple phone calls. But for whatever reason, the contract that they offered wasn’t living up to what my guys thought we could get. They said other clubs did offer a little bit more. I thought this was the best fit for me and my family. The National League East is definitely open. The Marlins can definitely win this year.”
After being mentioned in trade rumors so frequently the last year and a half, Bell held out for a three-year deal.
“I really wanted to know that I was going to be someplace for multiple years,” Bell said. “I didn’t want to go someplace for a year or two. I wanted to build something there.”
The Red Sox, meanwhile, remain in the market for a closer. They’ll probably be willing to top their Bell offer in order to get Ryan Madson, but if they can’t get that done, they could give the role to Daniel Bard.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)