Dec 5, 2011, 12:05 PM EST
Bobby Valentine wants to add Bill Buckner to the Red Sox coaching staff, but Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that “the team’s front office is resistant to the idea.”
Valentine and Buckner have been friends for 40 years, but of course that takes a backseat to Buckner’s history in Boston and he hasn’t coached in the majors since 1997.
Back then he was the White Sox’s hitting coach, but the Red Sox announced last week that Dave Magadan will return as their hitting coach in 2012 and Buckner spent this year managing the independent league Broxton Rox to a 51-42 record (and perhaps most importantly, brilliantly playing himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm).
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (82)