Dec 5, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine wants to add Bill Buckner to the Red Sox coaching staff, but Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that “the team’s front office is resistant to the idea.”
Valentine and Buckner have been friends for 40 years, but of course that takes a backseat to Buckner’s history in Boston and he hasn’t coached in the majors since 1997.
Back then he was the White Sox’s hitting coach, but the Red Sox announced last week that Dave Magadan will return as their hitting coach in 2012 and Buckner spent this year managing the independent league Broxton Rox to a 51-42 record (and perhaps most importantly, brilliantly playing himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm).
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12