Dec 5, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine wants to add Bill Buckner to the Red Sox coaching staff, but Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that “the team’s front office is resistant to the idea.”
Valentine and Buckner have been friends for 40 years, but of course that takes a backseat to Buckner’s history in Boston and he hasn’t coached in the majors since 1997.
Back then he was the White Sox’s hitting coach, but the Red Sox announced last week that Dave Magadan will return as their hitting coach in 2012 and Buckner spent this year managing the independent league Broxton Rox to a 51-42 record (and perhaps most importantly, brilliantly playing himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm).
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29