Dec 5, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
At one point this offseason the Reds were said to be interested in bringing back Francisco Cordero, but now John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer writes that they “hold little hope of re-signing” the 36-year-old closer.
Fay speculates that Cordero might even be willing to re-sign on a one-year deal because the closer market is over-saturated, but doesn’t seem to think the Reds should do that or will do that, pointing to in-house candidates like Bill Bray, Sam LeCure, Jose Arredondo, Brad Boxberger.
He also tosses out Edinson Volquez as a possible closer option, which makes some sense if he doesn’t have a rotation spot. Volquez has just four career relief appearances, three of which came as a rookie in 2005, but he certainly has the raw stuff to thrive in short outings and hasn’t been the same as a starter since arm surgery.
Cordero saved 37 games with a 2.45 ERA this year, but his strikeout rate plummeted to a career-low 5.4 per nine innings and most closer-needy teams seem to view him largely as a fallback option.
- Report: Athletics working on a trade 13
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)