Dec 5, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
At one point this offseason the Reds were said to be interested in bringing back Francisco Cordero, but now John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer writes that they “hold little hope of re-signing” the 36-year-old closer.
Fay speculates that Cordero might even be willing to re-sign on a one-year deal because the closer market is over-saturated, but doesn’t seem to think the Reds should do that or will do that, pointing to in-house candidates like Bill Bray, Sam LeCure, Jose Arredondo, Brad Boxberger.
He also tosses out Edinson Volquez as a possible closer option, which makes some sense if he doesn’t have a rotation spot. Volquez has just four career relief appearances, three of which came as a rookie in 2005, but he certainly has the raw stuff to thrive in short outings and hasn’t been the same as a starter since arm surgery.
Cordero saved 37 games with a 2.45 ERA this year, but his strikeout rate plummeted to a career-low 5.4 per nine innings and most closer-needy teams seem to view him largely as a fallback option.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)