Report: Albert Pujols’ wife wants him to leave agent

Dec 5, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT

Albert Pujols, Deidre Pujols Reuters

The Deadspin expose on agent Dan Lozano may not have swayed Albert Pujols, but it did get to his wife, according to SI.com’s Jon Heyman.

Heyman says that the Deadspin stories on Lozano are the talk of the winter meetings, and that while Pujols has maintained he’s staying with his agent, his wife wants him to break off the relationship.

The Deadspin piece that includes accusations of Lozano setting up prospective clients with prostitutes, as well as plenty of other bad behavior, can be found here. A followup was posted last week. Pujols stated after the original article that he had every intention of standing by his agent.

Even though he has a host of well-paid clients, Lozano is still in financial trouble, according to the article, and he’s banking on the approx. $1 million per year Pujols’ new contract will earn him in order to keep his empire going.

However, it seems that Pujols’ wife, Deidre, is more believing of the Deadspin side of things and would prefer to escape the sleaze.

1. salvomania - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:38 PM

“Sleeze”?

• Matthew Pouliot - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Ha, yeah. It’s not a word I write a lot.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM

“He is of the species sleeze and all he says is, ‘Slip me an anodyne mate for I am ill.’”
        …Sandy Pearlman, A History of Los Angeles.

2. steelerchicken - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM

How does Al hit when he plays in Arizona?

3. okwhitefalcon - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I get the winter meetings are alot of unsubstantiated rumors but since when is a random tweet
    by a guy who enjoys “being the story” (Heyman) considered “Report” status worthy?

I mean c’mon, does anyone in their right mind think DeeDee Pujols WASN”T pissed when Deadspin broke that story?

Thoughts Matthew?

• Matthew Pouliot - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Well, it’s Pujols, and when it comes to things Pujols-related, the bar is pretty low as for whether it qualifies as news. I was actually going to pass on it when I first saw the tweet, but then D.J. mentioned it and we decided we should run with it.

• okwhitefalcon - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Cool, thanks for the insight.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:41 PM

In modern journalism, or whatever passes for it, the bar is pretty low in general. Do you think it’s higher or lower for the Kardashians?

4. 78mu - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM

The problem with dumping his agent for being a sleazeball, how does he know his new agent isn’t just as bad. The pool of player agents is swimming with these guys.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I guess you pick the one whose dorsal fin doesn’t droop in captivity.

5. Jonny 5 - Dec 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Pujols: I’m thinking with this new info on you hitting the wire, I may need to change agents…
    Lazano: Well Albert, I’ll then spill the beans on all of those “favors” I lined up for you back in the day..
    Pujols: Well, you wouldn’t…..
    Lazano: I’m almost broke, and didn’t you see where I put my tongue? When it comes to scum bag I take the cake. I so would.
    Pujols: I’m soo not firing you. Buddy…

6. 2r2d - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Ha ha. This is just way to funny

7. sknut - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I know the news just broke recently but it seems a little late to dump agents no?

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM

It’s never too late to dump an agent. By the same token, it’s never too late to dump a husband, either. Trust me on this.

Of course, if she ditches him he’d have to give that plaque he won for upholding family values back to Sarah Palin….heh heh…

8. mattjg - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:43 PM

• okwhitefalcon - Dec 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM

“@jon_heyman “Word out of winter meetings is that Pujols’ wife wants Albert to switch to dreamy super-agent Scott Boras. No, really Albert, she told me so.”

mattjg, that was fucking hysterical.

Well done.

9. xmatt0926x - Dec 5, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Thats hillarious. You mean the picture of the agent going down on a prostitute gave Albert’s wife some pause?? Too funny. You try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but this agent really does come off as more than just the normal scumbag in that story. I don’t know why Albert would even want to support this clown at this point with the monster commission that will come from his new contract. Then again, as a previous poster mentioned, maybe the agent has some juicy info that Albert wouldn’t want his wife to know about…

10. cintiphil - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I only have one question. Is deadspin the other person in the Pujols bed at night Matthew? Or, did she call you one night?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3417)