Dec 5, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
ESPN’s Buster Olney chimes in with the news a lot of Milwaukee fans have been dreading hearing:
Brewers indicating to others they are pretty much out on Prince Fielder, and are moving on.
Moving on to whom is an open question. While the Brewers are believed to be willing to spend $20 million per year to keep Fielder, they’re not likely to take all that money and use it elsewhere if Fielder is out of the mix. They’ll probably be players for Jimmy Rollins, with the idea of using him as a leadoff man and letting Rickie Weeks hit cleanup behind Ryan Braun. However, if they can’t sign Rollins, it’s doubtful that they’ll add a big name.
As for first base, they could try to add Carlos Pena or Derrek Lee, but they also have an in-house option in longtime prospect Mat Gamel. The 26-year-old Gamel is a career .222/.309/.374 hitter in 171 major league at-bats, but he’s batted .301/.374/.512 in 1,098 at-bats in Triple-A. It’d make sense to go with him if the Brewers use up their budget room for Rollins.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)