Dec 5, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
ESPN’s Buster Olney chimes in with the news a lot of Milwaukee fans have been dreading hearing:
Brewers indicating to others they are pretty much out on Prince Fielder, and are moving on.
Moving on to whom is an open question. While the Brewers are believed to be willing to spend $20 million per year to keep Fielder, they’re not likely to take all that money and use it elsewhere if Fielder is out of the mix. They’ll probably be players for Jimmy Rollins, with the idea of using him as a leadoff man and letting Rickie Weeks hit cleanup behind Ryan Braun. However, if they can’t sign Rollins, it’s doubtful that they’ll add a big name.
As for first base, they could try to add Carlos Pena or Derrek Lee, but they also have an in-house option in longtime prospect Mat Gamel. The 26-year-old Gamel is a career .222/.309/.374 hitter in 171 major league at-bats, but he’s batted .301/.374/.512 in 1,098 at-bats in Triple-A. It’d make sense to go with him if the Brewers use up their budget room for Rollins.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games