Dec 5, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
ESPN’s Buster Olney chimes in with the news a lot of Milwaukee fans have been dreading hearing:
Brewers indicating to others they are pretty much out on Prince Fielder, and are moving on.
Moving on to whom is an open question. While the Brewers are believed to be willing to spend $20 million per year to keep Fielder, they’re not likely to take all that money and use it elsewhere if Fielder is out of the mix. They’ll probably be players for Jimmy Rollins, with the idea of using him as a leadoff man and letting Rickie Weeks hit cleanup behind Ryan Braun. However, if they can’t sign Rollins, it’s doubtful that they’ll add a big name.
As for first base, they could try to add Carlos Pena or Derrek Lee, but they also have an in-house option in longtime prospect Mat Gamel. The 26-year-old Gamel is a career .222/.309/.374 hitter in 171 major league at-bats, but he’s batted .301/.374/.512 in 1,098 at-bats in Triple-A. It’d make sense to go with him if the Brewers use up their budget room for Rollins.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)