Dec 5, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
UPDATE II: So much for that. Giants general manager Brian Sabean confirmed to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that they did not submit a bid for Nakajima.
UPDATE: John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the report of the Giants submitting a bid on Nakajima is inaccurate.
10:37 AM: According to Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Giants “appear to have submitted” a bid on Japanese shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima.
We learned over the weekend that Nakajima drew a bid from at least one MLB team and that the Seibu Lions intend to accept the highest bid regardless of the amount. If the bid is indeed accepted, the winning team will be granted a 30-day exclusive negotiating window to agree on a contract.
Nakajima, 29, is a .302 career hitter in Japan and has surpassed at least 16 home runs and 15 stolen bases in each of the last four seasons. He batted .297/.354/.433 with 16 home runs, 100 RBI and 21 stolen bases this past season.
Brandon Crawford currently projects as the Giants’ starting shortstop next season, though they have been connected to free agents Alex Gonzalez and Jerry Hairston, Jr. in recent days. They were not involved in talks for Jose Reyes and landing Jimmy Rollins is considered a longshot.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)