Dec 5, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
UPDATE II: So much for that. Giants general manager Brian Sabean confirmed to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that they did not submit a bid for Nakajima.
UPDATE: John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the report of the Giants submitting a bid on Nakajima is inaccurate.
10:37 AM: According to Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Giants “appear to have submitted” a bid on Japanese shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima.
We learned over the weekend that Nakajima drew a bid from at least one MLB team and that the Seibu Lions intend to accept the highest bid regardless of the amount. If the bid is indeed accepted, the winning team will be granted a 30-day exclusive negotiating window to agree on a contract.
Nakajima, 29, is a .302 career hitter in Japan and has surpassed at least 16 home runs and 15 stolen bases in each of the last four seasons. He batted .297/.354/.433 with 16 home runs, 100 RBI and 21 stolen bases this past season.
Brandon Crawford currently projects as the Giants’ starting shortstop next season, though they have been connected to free agents Alex Gonzalez and Jerry Hairston, Jr. in recent days. They were not involved in talks for Jose Reyes and landing Jimmy Rollins is considered a longshot.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 36
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 41
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months