Dec 5, 2011, 9:00 PM EST
UPDATE: Or not. Mark Sheldon of MLB.com hears that the Reds do not appear to be seriously pursuing Jurrjens. Another issue is that the two sides don’t match up well for a deal. The Braves are said to be looking for a power-hitting outfielder in return while the Reds best trade chips — Yonder Alonso and Juan Francisco — don’t exactly fit the bill.
It’s not clear who the Braves would ask for in return, but they are in the process of gauging interest in an effort to clear salary to upgrade their lineup. As you may recall, Jurrjens was floated in a potential deal with the Royals last month.
Jurrjens earned $3.25 million in 2011 while posting a 2.96 ERA and 90/44 K/BB ratio over 152 innings. His salary could rise north of $5 million in his second year of arbitration.
While Heyman notes that 10 teams have expressed interest in Jurrjens, the potential return could be impacted by concerns about his troublesome right knee. The 25-year-old right-hander had arthroscopic surgery on the knee last October and was limited to just seven starts after the All-Star break this season due to a bone bruise.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)