Dec 5, 2011, 9:00 PM EST
UPDATE: Or not. Mark Sheldon of MLB.com hears that the Reds do not appear to be seriously pursuing Jurrjens. Another issue is that the two sides don’t match up well for a deal. The Braves are said to be looking for a power-hitting outfielder in return while the Reds best trade chips — Yonder Alonso and Juan Francisco — don’t exactly fit the bill.
It’s not clear who the Braves would ask for in return, but they are in the process of gauging interest in an effort to clear salary to upgrade their lineup. As you may recall, Jurrjens was floated in a potential deal with the Royals last month.
Jurrjens earned $3.25 million in 2011 while posting a 2.96 ERA and 90/44 K/BB ratio over 152 innings. His salary could rise north of $5 million in his second year of arbitration.
While Heyman notes that 10 teams have expressed interest in Jurrjens, the potential return could be impacted by concerns about his troublesome right knee. The 25-year-old right-hander had arthroscopic surgery on the knee last October and was limited to just seven starts after the All-Star break this season due to a bone bruise.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)