Scenes from the Winter Meetings: Elephants? OK, elephants.

Dec 5, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT

It’s been a strange first day of the Winter Meetings for me. The Hilton Anatole here in Dallas is larger than some European countries, and getting from place to another is a major undertaking. There’s also stuff like this all over the place:

source:

There’s a matching elephant just out of the frame on the left.  I don’t know either. It goes with the giant atrium. Everything is bigger in Texas.

Also, this morning was on a panel for the Sports Management World Wide Career Conference. Joining me was ESPN’s Jayson Stark and Biz of Baseball’s Maury Brown. Here’s us. We’re cute.  The topic: the new collective bargaining agreement and its implications.

Stark noted a couple of times that this or that issue wasn’t totally settled yet even though the agreement is done.  It sort of dawned on me as he was talking that there are many, many such things and that in a lot of ways this CBA is literally half-baked.  It’s almost as if the union and the league are so comfortable with each other and have such a clear mandate from their constituencies (i.e. the owners and players) that they sort of took a “don’t worry, we’ll figure it out” approach.  It’s just worrisome.

There haven’t been any signings or deals since the Reyes thing last night, but much continues to go on down here. Several managers are going to walk in here in a little while and let us ask them questions. As per tradition, I plan on asking them if they would like Hideki Matsui in their lineup.

More later.

1. illcomm - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Just stop writing these things Craig. Such a waste. Take a backseat to your co writers and learn from them. Once again an utterly useless article from you.

• jtorrey13 - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Just stop writing these comments illcomm. Such a waste. Take a backseat to your co commenters and learn from them. Once again an utterly useless comment from you. (sic)

That may be the most beautiful template ever written.

Just stop writing these books of the Bible John. Such a waste. Take a backseat to your co gospel writers and learn from them. Once again an utterly useless book from you. (sic)

I think it could work for just about anything. The lack of commas and hyphens make it even better.

• donniebb23 - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Everyone on this site is now dumber for having read it…. your comment I mean.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

• trevorb06 - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Here’s an idea, don’t read the articles and go back to ProFootballTalk. We don’t want you here. Jackass.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I read every Calcaterra article on here because he specifically wrote it (and I mean no disrespect to Gleeman, who is fantastic as well). Thousands of baseball bloggers out there, and I’ve stuck with Craig since his early Shysterball days. And I am extremely picky on my writers.

So yeah, I think Craig’s articles are a little bit more than useless and a waste.

• lostsok - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I thought it was a nice color piece. Fans hardcore enough to read this blog to begin with appreciate the little details. It’s December. This is all we have! I take the minutiae in every pointless detail and I’ll say please and thank you for the effort.

THANKS CRAIG! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Oh I get it! That’s a picture Craig took of illcomm. You know, the elephant in the room.

• lanflfan - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM

To properly represent illcomm, I was thinking a donkey (or its seven letter alternate name) was more appropriate.

• CJ - Dec 5, 2011 at 4:11 PM

yeah, unfortunately I don’t see either of those in the picture.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Stay tuned. The Jays have something in the works. AA said that a deal is close to happening.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Please, baseball gods, let it be Fielder, Mr. Anderson or a lights out closer, please! Will more rum for Fuax-Jobu help? I’ll even get out the Appleton 21 Year, Master Blender’s Legacy for this…but no break dancing. Freaks me out when Faux-Bu tries to break dance…

• jwbiii - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:14 PM

For a Canadian rum offering, wouldn’t Screech be more appropriate?

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Screech is wooing the women. Rum is for serious voodoo work.

• jwbiii - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Umm. . .

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Classy women…

3. normb11 - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Are you drunk yet? If not, get there. It’ll be more fun.

4. Loren - Dec 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM

“this CBA is literally half-baked”
    Come on Craig, not you! I thought being a lawyer was all about the exactness of words used. Where did the shyster go? Unless you can show me evidence that the CBA was actually put in an oven an taken out before it was done I will… ummm… I guess I’ll just keep reading no matter what. This works better with my kids when I can usually come up with some sort of threat before I get to the end of my sentence.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM

If the CBA is weak, I wonder if it’s because both sides are even more worried about arguing too much about some things and not getting anything finalized.

Not that the CBA shouldn’t be the most thorough piece of writing in MLB, and I don’t want any of it to be iffy or half-cocked, but if it is, that’s likely why.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win