Dec 5, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
If the Astros have their way, their most expensive player in their final year in the National League could be rehabbing reliever Brandon Lyon.
Even without a permanent general manager employed, the Astros are at the winter meetings shopping Wandy Rodriguez, Brett Myers and Carlos Lee, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.
While Rodriguez is still somewhat attractive at $36 million for the next three years, the Astros know there will be no takers for Myers and Lee at their current prices. That’s why they’re willing to pay half of what those two are owed, says Miller. Myers will make $11 million next year, and there’s a $10 million vesting option for 2013 on his contract that includes a $3 million buyout. Lee will make $18.5 million next year in what will finally be the final season of his six-year, $100 million contract.
Myers could be worthy gamble at $6 million-$7 million next year, but the vesting option is likely to scare suitors off. Lee would be a tough sell even at $9 million after hitting .275/.342/.446 last season.
If the Astros due rid themselves of all three, then they could well enter the season with a 25-man roster making $18 million or less. Lyon, at $5.5 million, will probably start off on the disabled list. Their only players eligible for arbitration are J.A. Happ and Humberto Quintero, and those two should combine to earn around $3 million. They’ll probably go bargain hunting for a shortstop and a starting pitcher or two, but they won’t be looking to make any significant commitments.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)