Dec 5, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
I include the question mark because it’s silly to the point of folly to say with certainty how a new ballpark is gonna play before people actually start playing in it, but wow, check out the size of the outfield in the Marlins’ new ballpark.
That light blue overlay shows the outfield dimensions compared to Petco Park, which is the most pitcher-friendly park in baseball. Yes, the night games with that marine layer thing coming in off the Pacific affect that a lot, but size does matter. And the size of the Marlins’ outfield is pretty impressive/scary depending on who you are.
This could be great for Jose Reyes and all of his triples and it could be wonderful for the Marlins’ pitching staff. But if you’re a power hitter, particularly a righty who sometimes takes it straight-away, this place may haunt your dreams.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)