Dec 5, 2011, 5:12 PM EST
The phrase “… haven’t ruled out” is one you really gotta take with a grain of salt. I mean, I haven’t ruled out a lot of ridiculous things, mostly because I haven’t considered them in the first place. That said, this is still interesting to me:
Likelihood: outrageously low. Harper only hit .256/.329/.395 in his first look at double-A last year. Which is awesome for someone his age, but c’mon, that doesn’t look like a guy who is going to be able to step into a major league lineup at age 19.
Still: the very fact that this report is out there suggests how well the Nats understand that Harper’s appeal to fans and thus his usefulness as a marquee draw. I’ll bet he stays in the big league camp much longer than your usual minor league kid next spring.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 57
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 228
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (230)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)