Dec 5, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox have asked the Yankees for both Jesus Montero and Manny Banuelos in a John Danks deal.
Danks, 26, is coming off a year in which he went 8-12 with a 4.33 ERA, but he will be highly coveted by several teams in trade talks. The durable left-hander finished with ERAs of 3.77 and 3.72 the two previous year, and he’s fanned seven batters per nine innings over the course of his career. He’s been on the disabled list just once as a major leaguer, that coming last season due to a strained oblique.
But while a lot of teams would love to slot Danks into their rotation, the Yankees aren’t going to give up their top two prospects for him. It’s doubtful they’d part with either Montero or Banuelos. Danks has just one year left before free agency, limiting his trade value, and he’s due to make $8 million or so in arbitration next year.
A Danks trade could be expanded to include left-handed reliever Matt Thornton, but that still wouldn’t pry away Banuelos from the Yankees. The White Sox will need to aim a little lower.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)