Dec 5, 2011, 2:06 PM EST
SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox have asked the Yankees for both Jesus Montero and Manny Banuelos in a John Danks deal.
Danks, 26, is coming off a year in which he went 8-12 with a 4.33 ERA, but he will be highly coveted by several teams in trade talks. The durable left-hander finished with ERAs of 3.77 and 3.72 the two previous year, and he’s fanned seven batters per nine innings over the course of his career. He’s been on the disabled list just once as a major leaguer, that coming last season due to a strained oblique.
But while a lot of teams would love to slot Danks into their rotation, the Yankees aren’t going to give up their top two prospects for him. It’s doubtful they’d part with either Montero or Banuelos. Danks has just one year left before free agency, limiting his trade value, and he’s due to make $8 million or so in arbitration next year.
A Danks trade could be expanded to include left-handed reliever Matt Thornton, but that still wouldn’t pry away Banuelos from the Yankees. The White Sox will need to aim a little lower.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)