Dec 6, 2011, 12:48 AM EDT
UPDATE II: It’s fair to say that Pujols’ agent walked away from tonight’s meeting happy. Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins have “boosted” their nine-year offer to the free agent first baseman.
No word on the specific terms, but “one person with knowledge of the talks” said negotiations will likely play out more before a decision is reached. The Marlins’ initial reported offer was said to be for significantly less than the nine-year, $198-210 million deal offered by the Cardinals earlier this year, so this may not mean a lot yet.
UPDATE: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com confirms that the Marlins and Pujols’ agent will indeed meet again tonight.
The Cardinals, too, are due to meet again with Lozano. According to Newsday’s Ken Davidoff, they view the Marlins as a real threat to land the three-time MVP.
St. Louis isn’t known to have made a new offer to Pujols since he turned down a nine-year, $198 million extension in January, and reports indicate that they’re not willing to go much higher now. While $200 million sounds nice, the $22 million per year would put Pujols behind Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Howard, CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Joe Mauer, Johan Santana and Mark Teixeira in terms of annual salary.
Despite having already spent $106 million on Jose Reyes and $27 million on Heath Bell, the Marlins look like legitimate suitors for Pujols. They’d certainly have to eclipse the Cardinals’ offer to have a shot, but as much as Pujols is believed to enjoy playing in St. Louis, he may not take kindly to the perceived lack of respect being displayed in contract negotations. Pujols has never come close to earning what he’s worth, and while it’s true that the Cardinals don’t rake in dollars like the Yankees and Red Sox, they did outbid everyone for a premier talent in Matt Holliday two years ago.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 8
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)