Dec 6, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Craig underwent right knee surgery before Thanksgiving and “the club is braced for the possibility that he won’t be available” for the beginning of the season.
According to Goold the injury dates back to Craig crashing into the wall at Minute Maid Park in Houston and the surgery involved having “a couple screws placed in his right kneecap to repair the damage.”
Craig played and played well through the injury, with a big September followed by four postseason homers, but his recovery timetable is expected to be 4-6 months. That would seemingly make him unlikely to return before mid-April and any kind of setback could cost him most of May as well.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 14
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 31
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (112)