Dec 6, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Craig underwent right knee surgery before Thanksgiving and “the club is braced for the possibility that he won’t be available” for the beginning of the season.
According to Goold the injury dates back to Craig crashing into the wall at Minute Maid Park in Houston and the surgery involved having “a couple screws placed in his right kneecap to repair the damage.”
Craig played and played well through the injury, with a big September followed by four postseason homers, but his recovery timetable is expected to be 4-6 months. That would seemingly make him unlikely to return before mid-April and any kind of setback could cost him most of May as well.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)