Dec 6, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
6:45 p.m. EST update: Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik characterized Bowden’s report as “misleading,” MLB.com’s Greg Johns reports. But then Zduriencik admitted that he’d “prefer to be low key on any discussion,” suggesting that he wouldn’t be admitting anything even if something were brewing.
4:05 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Jim Bowden states that the Mariners are now the frontrunners for Fielder, though he offers nothing to back it up (he rarely does).
While Albert Pujols may be poised to get a 10-year contract from the Marlins, the Prince Fielder proposals are proving to be on the shorter side.
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos told MLB Network Radio’s Jim Bowden that he won’t go past five years for Fielder, making his bid a long shot.
The Cubs are also interested in a shorter deal. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that Theo Epstein’s club “would pay high dollars in exchange for shorter term.”
The Brewers have yet to completely rule themselves out of the running for Fielder, but a return to Milwaukee is shaping up as very unlikely. Rumored interest from the Orioles and Mariners has yet to produce any known offers, but the market may perk up once Pujols makes his choice.
Fielder, 27, finished third in the NL MVP balloting after hitting .299/.415/.566 with 38 homers and 120 RBI last season. He’s a three-time All-Star who led the NL in homers in 2007 and in RBI in 2009. He’s also played in at least 157 games in each of his six full seasons in the bigs.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)