UPDATE: Mariners planning to meet with Prince Fielder tonight

Dec 6, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT

Prince Fielder Reuters

UPDATE: Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Mariners plan to meet with free agent first baseman Prince Fielder tonight.

6:45 p.m. EST update: Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik characterized Bowden’s report as “misleading,” MLB.com’s Greg Johns reports. But then Zduriencik admitted that he’d “prefer to be low key on any discussion,” suggesting that he wouldn’t be admitting anything even if something were brewing.

4:05 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Jim Bowden states that the Mariners are now the frontrunners for Fielder, though he offers nothing to back it up (he rarely does).

///

While Albert Pujols may be poised to get a 10-year contract from the Marlins, the Prince Fielder proposals are proving to be on the shorter side.

Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos told MLB Network Radio’s Jim Bowden that he won’t go past five years for Fielder, making his bid a long shot.

The Cubs are also interested in a shorter deal. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that Theo Epstein’s club “would pay high dollars in exchange for shorter term.”

The Brewers have yet to completely rule themselves out of the running for Fielder, but a return to Milwaukee is shaping up as very unlikely. Rumored interest from the Orioles and Mariners has yet to produce any known offers, but the market may perk up once Pujols makes his choice.

Fielder, 27, finished third in the NL MVP balloting after hitting .299/.415/.566 with 38 homers and 120 RBI last season. He’s a three-time All-Star who led the NL in homers in 2007 and in RBI in 2009. He’s also played in at least 157 games in each of his six full seasons in the bigs.

1. brewcrewchamps - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Prince…just be a brewer for life.

Actually I kinda find myself being over him now. We’ll be fine without him. But the Brewers would give him a longer contract than most teams I think

2. Kevin S. - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Howard contract got it done for Prince. Who’s going to offer him more?

• cyanocittacristata - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Looks like $25m per for 6-7yrs. might be range Price has to settle for. My guess is for the top 3 to land ‘em are Cubs, Orioles, and Jays in that order. Cubbies and Jays will look for a short ‘n sweet contract (pay em high per year).

Dark horse is Angelos’s wallet vs. the BS darkside of Boras and his sith posse.

Hi Heyman! Where is … “The Mystery team”? ( I await his thumbs down )

3. orangeflh - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I hope he stays. He and Braun are just too good together.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Not that I want this, but I’m guessing he goes to the Cubs for 5/$110.

• xmatt0926x - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM

No way. If he takes a shorter term than the payoff has to be at least in that $25 million per year range.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

True. Thanks, Howard.

5. uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Food for thought.

Fielder won’t turn 28 until May 2012. Let’s say he were to accept a 4 year deal for say $90 to $100MM. He would then be eligible to be a FA again after the 2015 season at the ripe old age of 31 (the same age as Pujols is now). With good years he certainly could parlay that into another 4 or 5 year deal again in the area of $100MM.

Two 4 year deals could very well be a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole. If he were fortunate enough to get a 8 year deal now it probably would be in the neighborhood of about $160MM that’s if he could find a team to give him 8yrs/$20MM per now. Which appears to be very unlikely.

If I’m Fielder I seriously consider a 4 year deal now and another 4 year deal down the road. It may be how he maximizes his financial strength. Plus he would probably have a lot more teams bidding on him this year if it was just for a 4 year deal.

Like I said food for thought.

• Kevin S. - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM

People are already talking about body-type concerns with him. If they’re reluctant to commit to his age 32-35 seasons in order to get his age 28-31 seasons, why would they go for those seasons in four years without getting what’s left of his peak now? This is Fielder’s one real chance to cash in. H’es got to take it.

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:56 PM

My friend I have to disagree with you in this particular case. It’s not like at 31 he’s going to be some cripple. Regardless I think it’s very unlikely that he’s going to go the route I suggested but I still think it’s his best option to maximize his financial income over an 8 or 9 year period.

• Kevin S. - Dec 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Maybe not, but there’s a lot of industry concern about large-bodied guys going over the cliff in their early 30s. You’ll hear the names Mo Vaughn and Adam Dunn quite a bit.

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Kevin S. – I’m sure there is some truth to that but to lump all players into the same machine in my opinion is a mistake. Their also appears to be concern on some peoples part of small framed pitchers like Lincecum or “big” pitchers like CC. I guess my point is if everyone shied away from some player because of perceived stereotypes only the “ideal” physical specimen would sign a contract for more then a couple of years.

I think, and it’s just my opinion every player needs to be judged independently. And since Fielder became a full time MLB player he has never played in less than 157 games in a season. I realize that doesn’t address some peoples concerns about when he hits his early or mid 30’s. But there are plenty of athletes in prime physical shape that “hit the wall” at that age as well.

• Kevin S. - Dec 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I’m just going by what seems to be the perception. The question isn’t whether Fielder will fall off the cliff, but whether or not GMs will be too wary of that possibility to give him another big deal.

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Kevin S – I absolutely understand what you are saying. I guess I come at it from the point of view that a 4 year deal for a player at 31 years of age is less risky than an 8 year deal for that same player at 28 years of age. But who’s to say for sure.

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Pretty good thought UYF. Another is that the Os and Cubbies do not have much else besides money to offer Fielder at this point. The Jays can offer Bautista to hit after, the rest of that lineup (Lawrie, Escobar, Lind etc) and a decent pitching staff (now with Legitimate Closerâ„¢!) and likely another starter before this is all over. Maybe it’s my homer glasses at work, but the Jays are the front runner here to me.

• cyanocittacristata - Dec 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

In terms of winning and intangibles, Yes the beavermen are numero uno. BUT Scott Boras is about one thing above all else Dinero … maybe also a fanboy of De Niro too, but Robert ain’t filling Scottys wallet any time soon.

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Well, your point about Boras is spot on.Not much I can say ’bout that. However your commenter handle makes me think I should change mine to castorcanadensisphile. Many, many difficult decisions this time of year….

• Ben - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Your food for thought has the added advantage of being towards the tail-end of the Tex contract–could shift Tex to DH and Prince could tak over 1B.

6. sknut - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM

5 years makes sense he would only be 32 and still have a chance at another 4 maybe 5 year contract and who knows what the salaries will look like in 5 years.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:13 PM

can we please stop linking good free agents to the bluejays? I mean come on already there is NO way and i mean NOWAY Fielder or any top free agent is coming to toronto!!

• cshearing - Dec 7, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Your act was old before it started. Please find a new hobby, because this one makes you look pathetic.

8. ScubaXsniper - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM

As a Brewers fan, I want him back. But to sign him on a long-term contract with monster money could be risky. What if he gets hurt, then we’re screwed for the next 10 years. We’ll see what happens, though.

9. cur68 - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3170)