Greetings from day two of the Winter Meetings

Dec 6, 2011, 8:14 AM EDT

IMG_2207

I walked into the Hilton Anatole at 6:30 AM. I feel like I just left. Probably because I kind of did. The festivities go late at the Winter Meetings. Why I’m the only one who was both late and arrived early is an open question probably best reserved for my psychologist. As it is, I’m the only person in the media room right now. It’s actually kind of peaceful.

Less so last night.  The crowd in the lobby is a people-watcher’s fantasy. At one point my field of vision contained:

• Tony Perez laughing it up with some friends;
  • Billy Beane leaving the restaurant sort of yelling “booyah!” at a couple of people milling around outside;
  • A half dozen eager young job-seekers, resume-containing portfolios in-hand, scanning the room for someone to whom they can deliver their elevator pitch;
  • Some guys from the trade show who make and sell these weird masks walking around in said masks. Someone within earshot looked at one of the guys and asked who his mask was supposed to be. The guy said Babe Ruth. Pro Tip: if people in town for the baseball convention can’t identify your Babe Ruth mask, you may want to redesign it; and
  • A national writer I know who shall remain nameless almost run over Frank Robinson. Disaster was averted, however. Which is good, because I’m guessing MLB has a special skull-cracking force to specifically deal with that kind of thing.

But for all of the gawking and talking and drinking, this is still a baseball thing, and the topic of conversation for most people remained the Florida Marlins. How serious is this Pujols business? Most people think it’s not, but we’ve all learned not to rule anything out. What’s up with Hanley Ramirez? No word yet on who will get behind his Michael Young-style MVP campaign if he asks for a trade because of a position shift.  Because that’s going to happen with him too, right?

Anyway, on a day with no really big breaking news, there was a sense of anticipation among most people I talked to. Something big is going to happen today, many believe. Someone will overpay C.J. Wilson, some suspect. Others think that the Albert Pujols tease can only last so long and that he’ll either commit back to the Cardinals soon (most think this) or break for that crazy show they are building in Miami (chaos-lovers are praying for this).

For our part: we’re just jacking back in to the Matrix, passing along everything we see and hear. Oh, and my betters at NBC think it’s a good idea to let me go on TV tonight. Hey: it’s their network and they know better than I do. More on that later, though.

Don’t go anyplace.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Dec 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM

And yet with all the action going on, Heyman still had time to block me on twitter. Note: he gets offended if you call him a shill for Boras.

• natstowngreg - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM

So does Mike Rizzo.

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Man, petty.

I almost wish I was on twitter so I could get blocked.

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Since you got a single “thumb down” I can only guess that he’s followed you here, like a lost but ill tempered puppy to further register his disapproval of you. In which case:

Hi Mr. Heyman! You’re out of your so-called mind & you are a shill for Boras. Ok, bye!

2. lewp - Dec 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Thanks Craig,

Guees I need to work on the mask then.

3. Panda Claus - Dec 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I’m pretty sure Frank Robinson would handle his own “skull cracking” duties still. Don’t let the age fool you.

4. Old Gator - Dec 6, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Way to head back to the bar with that over-the-shoulder William Gibson reference. Just moderate your sim-stims or you’re going to miss an important conversation here and there, you know?

Incidentally, I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to know what’s on the breakfast buffet. I have to think there’s more than reconstituted powdered eggs.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 6, 2011 at 8:37 AM

With Craig’s luck, quiche pie might be on the menu. Ugh!

5. Jonny 5 - Dec 6, 2011 at 8:56 AM

If you run into Beinfest and Hill ask him if he’ll go even up, Polly for Ramirez. Then we can sign the the Aramis Ramirez and have a double shot of Ramirez in the infield… I mean damn Rollins, 5 years.. Really?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:08 AM

and have a double shot of Ramirez in the infield

Sounds kinky!

• Jonny 5 - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Yeah since when do you want one guy, but his baggage is just a little too much, so you settle for two Ramirezesezes??

• kiwicricket - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Or slightly perverse, depending on the nature of your previous ex-girlfriend.

6. 2r2d - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM

If I am a chaos-lover for wanting Pujols out of the Central so be it. I really think St. Louis should have had him signed already if they really wanted their “Franchise” player back. They are just lucky the Yankees don’t need a guy at first this offseason, the deal would have been done already.

• damnyankee13 - Dec 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM

If the Yankees did need a 1st baseman, I’d rather have Fielder then Pujols due to the age difference

7. kiwicricket - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Dam it Craig. Post someone in a ridiculous shirt already!

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Psst! Kiwi! It’s Craig in the ridiculous shirt, that’s why no pics…

• kiwicricket - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I assume Craig is in his usual attire….bathrobe and underpants. By all accounts, he seems to be blending in though.

8. mojosmagic - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for nothing.

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Well, you’re getting your money’s worth then, aren’t you? Think of that next time you buy junk bonds.

9. skerney - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Who are these “Florida Marlins” of which you speak?

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2956)