Dec 6, 2011, 4:54 PM EST
After we learned last night that Hanley Ramirez was “distraught” about the prospect of changing positions to make room for free agent shortstop Jose Reyes, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he has told the Marlins he doesn’t want to play third base.
“Hanley doesn’t want to play third base and the Marlins were informed of that,” the source said. “Rather than ask for a trade, what he has done is to inform (the team) that he does not want to play another position other than shortstop.” Meanwhile, Andy Mota, Ramirez’s agent, said to ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com about the situation: “no comment.”
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post was told by a Marlins’ official that Ramirez has not asked to be traded, but it doesn’t take much to read between the lines here. It’s all speculation for now, but perhaps we’ll hear something more substantial from Ramirez’s agent when Reyes’ contract is made official tomorrow.
Ramirez, who signed a six-year, $70 million contract extension with the Marlins in May of 2008, is owed $15 million next season, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)