Dec 6, 2011, 4:54 PM EST
After we learned last night that Hanley Ramirez was “distraught” about the prospect of changing positions to make room for free agent shortstop Jose Reyes, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he has told the Marlins he doesn’t want to play third base.
“Hanley doesn’t want to play third base and the Marlins were informed of that,” the source said. “Rather than ask for a trade, what he has done is to inform (the team) that he does not want to play another position other than shortstop.” Meanwhile, Andy Mota, Ramirez’s agent, said to ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com about the situation: “no comment.”
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post was told by a Marlins’ official that Ramirez has not asked to be traded, but it doesn’t take much to read between the lines here. It’s all speculation for now, but perhaps we’ll hear something more substantial from Ramirez’s agent when Reyes’ contract is made official tomorrow.
Ramirez, who signed a six-year, $70 million contract extension with the Marlins in May of 2008, is owed $15 million next season, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)