Dec 6, 2011, 4:54 PM EDT
After we learned last night that Hanley Ramirez was “distraught” about the prospect of changing positions to make room for free agent shortstop Jose Reyes, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he has told the Marlins he doesn’t want to play third base.
“Hanley doesn’t want to play third base and the Marlins were informed of that,” the source said. “Rather than ask for a trade, what he has done is to inform (the team) that he does not want to play another position other than shortstop.” Meanwhile, Andy Mota, Ramirez’s agent, said to ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com about the situation: “no comment.”
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post was told by a Marlins’ official that Ramirez has not asked to be traded, but it doesn’t take much to read between the lines here. It’s all speculation for now, but perhaps we’ll hear something more substantial from Ramirez’s agent when Reyes’ contract is made official tomorrow.
Ramirez, who signed a six-year, $70 million contract extension with the Marlins in May of 2008, is owed $15 million next season, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
- In progress: Mike Minor working on a no-hitter against the Reds 2
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 210
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (212)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)