Dec 6, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
Because that certainly seems to be the way things are going down at the moment.
The Cardinals were supposed to be set at first base and in right field if Pujols departed, as Lance Berkman would move a first base position that fits him a whole lot better anyway and Allen Craig would take over in right field. However, the news that Craig underwent knee surgery that left him doubtful for Opening Day changed things significantly.
Without Pujols, the Cardinals would ideally go get themselves a guy who can play regularly in the outfield, as well as a shortstop to start over Tyler Greene. They’re OK at second base with Daniel Descalso.
They should enter the market for Jimmy Rollins at shortstop, though Rafael Furcal and Alex Gonzalez appear to be more likely options. For the outfield, while right field is the immediate need, it’d be best if they could get someone capable of playing center in case Jon Jay slips. Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes would be plenty intriguing, but at $60 million or more, he’s likely out of reach. Carlos Beltran would be pretty much perfect for the team, too. Lesser options include Michael Cuddyer, Cody Ross, Andruw Jones.
If the Cardinals choose not to bid on Rollins or Beltran, they’d have the money to upgrade the pitching staff instead. They’re in pursuit of Mark Buehrle as a replacement for either Kyle Lohse or Jake Westbrook. Also, they could address the bullpen. Jason Motte did just fine as the closer for the world champs, but if Francisco Rodriguez or Ryan Madson starts shaping up as a potential bargain, the Cardinals shouldn’t rule out signing one for the ninth.
There’s really nothing out there that would soften the blow of losing Pujols, but given that the Cardinals still have plenty of front-line talent and play in a weak division, they’ll be definite candidates to return to the postseason next year. Whether they’d shape up as more of an 88-win team or a 95-win team is still to be determined.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)