Dec 6, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
Just after the news of the Segio Santos trade, White Sox GM Kenny Williams met with the Chicago sporting press and said words that, while expected, are nonetheless monumental for the White Sox: “This is the start of rebuilding.”
Santos out the door. Mark Buehrle certain to sign elsewhere. A farm system badly in need of replenishing and two starters in John Danks and Gavin Floyd who many teams would like to have. Carlos Quentin would look good on a number of teams. Williams is right: this is just the start. As soon as the Marlins are done with their craziness, look for the White Sox to be the center of the rumor universe.
A radically-changed roster. A brand new manager with no experience in Robin Ventura. A Tigers team that will surely remain competitive for the near future and a Royals team which looks to be a monster in the making.
Welcome to your new world, White Sox fans.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20