Dec 6, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
Just after the news of the Segio Santos trade, White Sox GM Kenny Williams met with the Chicago sporting press and said words that, while expected, are nonetheless monumental for the White Sox: “This is the start of rebuilding.”
Santos out the door. Mark Buehrle certain to sign elsewhere. A farm system badly in need of replenishing and two starters in John Danks and Gavin Floyd who many teams would like to have. Carlos Quentin would look good on a number of teams. Williams is right: this is just the start. As soon as the Marlins are done with their craziness, look for the White Sox to be the center of the rumor universe.
A radically-changed roster. A brand new manager with no experience in Robin Ventura. A Tigers team that will surely remain competitive for the near future and a Royals team which looks to be a monster in the making.
Welcome to your new world, White Sox fans.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)