Dec 6, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
Just after the news of the Segio Santos trade, White Sox GM Kenny Williams met with the Chicago sporting press and said words that, while expected, are nonetheless monumental for the White Sox: “This is the start of rebuilding.”
Santos out the door. Mark Buehrle certain to sign elsewhere. A farm system badly in need of replenishing and two starters in John Danks and Gavin Floyd who many teams would like to have. Carlos Quentin would look good on a number of teams. Williams is right: this is just the start. As soon as the Marlins are done with their craziness, look for the White Sox to be the center of the rumor universe.
A radically-changed roster. A brand new manager with no experience in Robin Ventura. A Tigers team that will surely remain competitive for the near future and a Royals team which looks to be a monster in the making.
Welcome to your new world, White Sox fans.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)