Dec 6, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
Just after the news of the Segio Santos trade, White Sox GM Kenny Williams met with the Chicago sporting press and said words that, while expected, are nonetheless monumental for the White Sox: “This is the start of rebuilding.”
Santos out the door. Mark Buehrle certain to sign elsewhere. A farm system badly in need of replenishing and two starters in John Danks and Gavin Floyd who many teams would like to have. Carlos Quentin would look good on a number of teams. Williams is right: this is just the start. As soon as the Marlins are done with their craziness, look for the White Sox to be the center of the rumor universe.
A radically-changed roster. A brand new manager with no experience in Robin Ventura. A Tigers team that will surely remain competitive for the near future and a Royals team which looks to be a monster in the making.
Welcome to your new world, White Sox fans.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (74)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (69)