Dec 6, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
The Angels led the AL in ERA last year, while finishing 10th in runs scored, yet manager Mike Scioscia would prefer a pitcher to a hitter as the team’s big addition this winter.
“We need to get stronger pitching,” Scioscia said. “I know you look at Weav and Haren and Santana and it sounds like you’re getting greedy. But you need five guys going out there during the season to give you a chance to win, and right now we might have an incredible playoff rotation, but you need a full rotation to give yourself that opportunity to get into the playoffs.”
C.J. Wilson heads the team’s list. As things stand now, the Angels have only journeyman Jerome Williams, rookie Garrett Richards and swingman Trevor Bell behind Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana in the rotation. So, they do need one more quality arm there. Whether they need it more than a bopper for the middle of the lineup is questionable, but there’s an argument to be made.
The Angels could also consider adding a late-inning reliever. Jordan Walden was an All-Star as a rookie and seems poised for a nice run as the team’s closer, but since there aren’t any top-flight setup men to invest in, the Angels could target Ryan Madson with the idea of moving Walden into an eighth-inning role.
Aramis Ramirez is viewed as the Angels’ top target when it comes to offense, but they’ll face competition from the Phillies and Brewers there.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)