Dec 6, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
The Angels led the AL in ERA last year, while finishing 10th in runs scored, yet manager Mike Scioscia would prefer a pitcher to a hitter as the team’s big addition this winter.
“We need to get stronger pitching,” Scioscia said. “I know you look at Weav and Haren and Santana and it sounds like you’re getting greedy. But you need five guys going out there during the season to give you a chance to win, and right now we might have an incredible playoff rotation, but you need a full rotation to give yourself that opportunity to get into the playoffs.”
C.J. Wilson heads the team’s list. As things stand now, the Angels have only journeyman Jerome Williams, rookie Garrett Richards and swingman Trevor Bell behind Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana in the rotation. So, they do need one more quality arm there. Whether they need it more than a bopper for the middle of the lineup is questionable, but there’s an argument to be made.
The Angels could also consider adding a late-inning reliever. Jordan Walden was an All-Star as a rookie and seems poised for a nice run as the team’s closer, but since there aren’t any top-flight setup men to invest in, the Angels could target Ryan Madson with the idea of moving Walden into an eighth-inning role.
Aramis Ramirez is viewed as the Angels’ top target when it comes to offense, but they’ll face competition from the Phillies and Brewers there.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)